Freshers Hurlers Claim the Double

A second-half fightback from Trinity's freshers hurling team helped the side to a second consecutive league and championship double.

Muireann Nic CorcráinGAA Correspondent
Trinity GAA

For the second year in succession, Trinity GAA’s freshers hurling team have done the “double-double”, beating Ulster University Jordanstown (UUJ) to victory in the Division 2 All-Ireland Championship final last night. A second-half revival from Trinity, with two goals scored in dramatic fashion, ensured the trophy returns to Trinity after a 2-13 to 0-14 win.

Last night’s triumph comes after the side’s league triumph in November.

It may have looked convincing in the end, but for most of the game it was anything but, with Trinity forced to work incredibly hard for victory. Jordanstown got off the mark first, opening the scoring. Superb work by goalkeeper Conor Barton meant UUJ’s goal threat was limited, but Trinity did ship a number of points early on. Johnny Walsh hit back with a free from near the halfway line for his team’s first score of the game.

Chances came Trinity’s way but were dealt with by the determined Jordanstown defence. The Ulster side showed intelligence and tactical awareness in possession, but the freshers, coached by Leon Breen, were growing into the game themselves, and began to close the gap courtesy of Walsh, Donnacha Ryan and a skilful over-the-shoulder point from Cormac O’Nualláin.

UUJ did apply sustained pressure on Trinity’s defence at times, but Ger Dempsey and Luke Corcoran showed cool heads to shut down attacks before they could worry Barton in the goalmouth. Wing-forward Daniel Long was having joy down the left, a common out ball for Walsh and Liam O’Flynn. Understandably, tensions were high and a number of Jordanstown’s players saw yellow for dissent.

Despite promising patches, missed opportunities were costing Trinity, and after Walsh’s effort drifted wide, UUJ went into the break with a 0-8 to 0-5 lead.

With the sides seemingly quite evenly matched, it looked like the first goal would be crucial. Walsh, though, laid down a marker, not with a goal but with a skilful point from the midst of a crowd. Jordanstown capitalised on any opportunity that came their way, intercepting a pass between Ryan and Karl Weldon and converting. Scrappy play ensued between both sides, with Dempsey emerging from the ruck to clear the ball.

Trinity’s confidence grew as the half went on, and Eoin O’Callaghan landed the vital first goal after a brilliant effort by Long to get the ball into the square. Frustration began to show in the ranks of the Ulster side, with yellow cards brandished again. A vital score, from Trinity’s perspective, came from a strong Barton puck out, falling straight into the path of Long who drove the ball over the black spot. Trinity, though, were not finished by any means, with a final nail in the coffin coming courtesy of Walsh, whose high ball into the square bounced waywards past the keeper and into the net.

It was a brave effort from Jordanstown, but it was not enough against a freshers team whose appetite for success appears ravenous. Speaking to The University Times, Assistant Manager Jack O’Neill expressed his delight for the team and credited them for their efforts: “It’s a just reward for the lads who put in a serious effort this year, and they’ve continued the tradition of Trinity Freshers winning silverware.” Manager Leon Breen echoed these sentiments, identifying “the closeness within the team showed on the pitch, the fact that the team have become amazing friends really tells you how we can bring that support onto the field to win important games like this. I’m incredibly proud of them”.