Molloy Steps Down as Hist Auditor

Citing personal reasons, Paul Molloy has stepped down as Auditor of the society.

Róisín Power and Dominic McGrath

Paul Molloy has stepped down as The Auditor of the College Historical Society (the Hist), just two weeks before the society’s AGM.

Speaking to The University Times, Molloy said that he stepped down for personal reasons and informed the committee this afternoon. He said the society “had performed well, even under difficult circumstances”. Molloy also thanked his committee for their work this year.

Molloy said he didn’t know who would run the society in the interim between his resignation and the society’s AGM.

Molloy was one of four presidential candidates in the Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) elections this year. During the election, he stressed the need for stern opposition to College and emphasised his experience dealing with Trinity’s management.

In the TCDSU elections, Molloy received 16.4 per cent of the vote.

In January, Molloy defended the society’s decision to invite Nigel Farage to speak to the Hist, saying the society has a “mandate to further public discourse and facilitate debate”. Molloy was criticised for inviting Farage to come to Trinity last term and offering him the Gold Medal for Outstanding Contribution to Public Discourse. The Hist decided to rescind the offer of the medal but later extended an invitation to Farage to speak in February.

The decision to invite Farage, who addressed a packed GMB in February, triggered opposition both externally and from within his own society.