Navigating Dublin’s Nightlife in a Wheelchair

Niamh Herbert looks at accessibility across the city.

Niamh HerbertJunior Editor

I’ve been using a wheelchair for just over a year now, but I used a walking stick for my declining balance and coordination skills for years beforehand. I had always been cautious about going out in Dublin because of the inaccessibility of most venues, but I came to find that it’s not always an inaccessible venue that can ruin a night out – often it’s other people’s reactions to my wheelchair being in a club.

Last year, I threw caution to the wind and decided to become a yes woman when it came to trying new things and going to new places. Going on nights out in Dublin in a wheelchair is very trial and error – some things will work, some won’t. Many nights out have ended with me in tears over inaccessible venues, drunk men and their ableist comments or even the bouncers refusing me entry because I’m a “safety” hazard to myself and other customers.

Most nights, the trouble begins even before entering the club. Most of Dublin’s buildings have a preservation status, and so can’t be adapted. As a result, stairs are the biggest barrier to accessibility in Dublin buildings – not just clubs and bars. Getting past the threshold of venues like Palace and the South William can prove difficult and can put a dampener on the night before it has even begun.

I’m not opposed to being fireman lifted by a friend up a few steps, but I definitely draw the line at throwing my arms around a randomer and letting strangers hoist me up the stairs. Being manhandled is not a part of my ideal night out on the town, but it’s an each to their own kind of thing, and some wheelchair users have no qualms about it.

I love nothing more than throwing a few shapes on the dancefloor. For my own sake, I never wanted to be that shy little girl sitting in the corner, wishing I could join in whilst watching my friends dance and laugh, so I make the effort to be extroverted and energetic even when I feel upset from the tribulation of getting into an inaccessible venue. Sometimes, though, I almost wish I wasn’t so intent on going out and dancing.

The trouble doesn’t end once safely in the club, though, oh no! Sadly, unwanted attention from men plays a huge role in every night out. And I know it’s not just a problem that girls who use wheelchairs face, but I feel that the wheelchair instantly makes me more vulnerable to inappropriate advances. I haven’t had a night out where I haven’t encountered a few different examples of the creepy drunk men that can be found lurking in the clubs of Dublin. On an average night out, I usually receive a good few handshakes and pats on the back, just a few of many non-verbal ways of saying “well done for leaving the house, look at you living life, God bless!”, as if I’m the first person they’ve ever seen using a wheelchair. Of course this bothers me, but if I were to get worked up about every creep who paid attention to me because of my wheelchair, I’d never spend more than five minutes in a nightclub. I do, however, get upset when these men think they’re doing me a favour by trying to dance with me.

On many occasions, men have tried to grab to handles of my wheelchair and jiggle me around. I really don’t know what the fascination with wheelchair users in clubs is, but I really hope that it ends soon. As I mentioned above, being manhandled is not a part of my ideal night out on the town.

Unfortunately, I can’t give you advice on how to avoid any unwanted attention due to being a wheelchair user, but I can share a few of the most wheelchair accessible venues that I’ve found around the city. As much as I’d like to name and shame every single accessibility failing of each venue in Dublin, it’s much easier to just mention a handful of the best accessible venues in Dublin:

Tramline

Having opened only a few months ago, Tramline has quickly become one of my favourite venues. Trinity Ents has utilised Tramline extremely well, having hosted many nights there this academic year. Tramline, located on Hawkins St, is fully accessible – including wheelchair levels at all bar areas. This is an essential but frequently forgotten feature to make any bar or club wheelchair accessible.

The Button Factory

Also used often by Trinity Ents is The Button Factory. Newly renovated, the Button Factory is one of the better venues in Dublin for wheelchair users. The cherry on top of this accessible venue is the kind and accommodating staff.

Copper Face Jacks

Known for its cheesy music, Copper Face Jacks is definitely the most accessible club on Harcourt Street. D2, Dicey’s and Everleigh, all on the same street, pale in comparison.

Whelan’s

The ground floor of Whelan’s deserves an honourable mention here. The ground floor of Whelan’s, equipped with a spacious wheelchair bathroom, is easy to manoeuvre about. The accessibility, unfortunately, comes to an end when one encounters the stairs to access the second gig area of the venue.