Nine Medals for DU Fencing

Phillip Cripwell and Anna Zink claimed gold at the weekend, with seven other fencers taking home medals after another strong showing.

Sean CorcoranSenior Staff Writer
DU Fencing

Still bathing in the afterglow of an 11th consecutive victory at intervarsities two weeks ago, when Dublin University Fencing Club (DUFC) banked nine trophies and remained unbeaten in every match, Trinity’s fencers ensured their season of prosperity continued with an impressive showing at Student Individuals this weekend. The club claimed nine medals at the tournament, which was held in Maynooth.

In the men’s foil, which took place on Saturday, DUFC filled the podium with Phillip Cripwell taking gold, Feargal Donaghy silver and Sean Patmore bronze. Cripwell and Donaghy were part of the side that swept to victory two weeks ago.

In the women’s foil, Leah McHugh won silver and Crystal Percival bronze, both players coming off the back of impressive seasons. Percival represented Ireland at the Five Nations Tournament in November of last year.

In the women’s épée Camille Hindsgaul was the sole DUFC medallist, adding to an impressive season with yet another medal as she took silver. In the women’s sabre Anna Zink took gold with Imogen McGuckin striking for silver.

On the Sunday Ross Byrne topped off the weekend by winning silver in the men’s épée to bring the medal count to nine at the culmination of another fruitful weekend of competition for DUFC.

The club’s next outing will take place across the Irish Sea, with the Birmingham International Open taking place this coming weekend. A number of current members and alumni will represent DUFC at the event.