No Quorum for Final GSU Council

Tonight, postgraduate students failed to turn out for the final GSU council of the year.

Aisling MarrenAssistant News Editor
Guy Boggan for The University Times

The Graduates Students’ Union has failed to hit quorum for its council this evening.

Last night’s elections hustings saw poor turnout. However, there was expected to be a higher turnout for the union’s final council of the year. The union will be forced to hold another meeting later in the month. This was set to be outgoing GSU President Shane Collins’s final GSU council.

According to the GSU Constitution, 35 members must be present for quorum to be met. A general meeting was called instead. Without quorum, no votes can be taken on any motions submitted.

Collins apologised for the low turnout at council, but thanked those who came.

Hustings will take place tonight for the three candidates in this year’s GSU elections. It comes after a poorly attended hustings last night, in which the three candidates outlined their main manifesto points, before postgraduates get a chance to cast their vote tomorrow.

Since a five per cent increase in postgraduate fees was announced last September, the postgraduate community has been in turmoil. Tension has been growing steadily as the last several years have seen incremental fee increases, which College has blamed on government cuts to higher education.

Discussed instead tonight was the high cost of living experienced by PhD students in Ireland compared to the conditions enjoyed by postgraduates in other countries.