Senior Tutor Blames Government for Supplemental Fees

Aidan Seery, in a Facebook post, said that fees were ‘avoidable’ if the government had addressed higher education funding.

Róisín PowerAssistant Editor
Senior Tutor Aidan Seery posted in the Facebook event this morning.

Trinity’s Senior Tutor, Aidan Seery, has said that anger about the introduction of supplemental fees should be directed at the government and not at College.

Seery posted in Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union’s (TCDSU) Facebook event for an open meeting being held this evening. The open meeting was called last night after it was revealed that Trinity will be introducing supplemental exam fees.

Speaking to The University Times, Seery said that it was an “awful decision”, but one that College Board had to make if they wanted to introduce modular billing and not increase the universities deficit: “I am convinced that every member of Board was uneasy in making that decision, but thought that they had no other alternative.”

Seery said that he was “troubled” by the introduction of supplemental exam fees, adding that he wasn’t “sure that [Board] realised the implications of moving to modular billing”.

However, Seery emphasised Trinity’s continuing deficit saying he hoped students understand that “the [Higher Education Authority] won’t put up with Trinity reporting a deficit”.

When asked about other options to cover the cost of introducing modular billing, which Seery said will cost the College €1 million, Seery said that “a number of alternatives were looked at”.

In the Facebook post, Seery said that the “decision was avoidable but only if the government took responsibility for funding public education” and added that students should focus their anger at “our national politicians and not members of our own College community”.

A senior College officer posting in a TCDSU Facebook event is a highly unusual step to take. In 2016, when Vice-Provost Chris Morash addressed students ahead of the March for Education, it was seen as significant moment in the fight for higher education funding. However, it’s rare for senior officers – and Board members – to take to social media to engage with students.

Seery believed that the implications of introducing supplemental fees should be discussed, and said that he was adamant at College Board last week that students who need financial support to pay the fee would get it: “I have a commitment from the College that the student hardship fund will be augmented to ensure that no student in this college will have to withdraw from the cost of supplemental fees and financial hardship.”

In a meeting of Board last Wednesday, Trinity decided to introduce a flat fee of €450 for supplemental exams. This means that no matter if a student sits one supplemental exam or four, they will pay €450. The decision has received widespread condemnation from students and TCDSU.

Over the last few years, Trinity has embarked on a range of cuts and commercialisation. Students and staff have often pushed back angrily, even as College has protested that its hands are tied by the lack of government funding for higher education.

In July 2016, the government’s higher education funding working group published three options for as future higher education funding model – the abolition of the student contribution and the creation of a predominantly state-funded system, the continuation of the current student contribution charge coupled with increased state investment, and the introduction of an income-contingent loan system.

Provost Patrick Prendergast, alongside the Irish University Association, has bemoaned the lack of progress on the issue. The Minister for Education, Richard Bruton, asked the Oireachtas Education and Skills Committee to come to a “consensus” on the issue, even as committee members have cast doubt on the ability of the committee to agree.

Dominic McGrath and Eleanor O’Mahony contributed reporting to this piece.