Students Claim Victory, with Mass Front Square Rally

Hundreds gathered in Front Square for a rally against supplemental exam fees.

Niamh Egleston and Róisín Power

Speeches and DJ sets combined in Front Square, as students rallied once again in defiance of Trinity’s decision to introduce supplemental exam fees.

As the occupation of the Dining Hall ends, hundreds of students flocked into Front Square for a concert that took place under the watchful gaze of Trinity security. Students clapped, cheered and danced, with staff from College catering coming outside to clap along. Trinity belongs to you, Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) President Kevin Keane said. Students listened, stretching across Front Square, sitting in groups and chatting, in one of the most iconic images of today’s rally.

Stretching across Front Square, hundreds gathered to join the celebration after a night that saw a serious clash between students and College. Acts such as Eve Belle and Niall Cash, as well as Judge Rudie and Ben Bix, Saerlaith and Susie Birmingham are all due to entertain crowds at the Dining Hall this afternoon.

As speeches began, Trinity took to Twitter to say it “looks like #TakeBackTrinity protests are winding down”, as hundreds of students gathered in Front Square to hear speeches and listen to the rally’s concert. Trinity said that the Dining Hall was “closed to new protesters yesterday on concern about safety”, and that they “strongly regret that the situation then escalated”.

Speakers today stressed that the occupation had the support of staff and security across College. Solidarity was the message from the occupiers, who praised the support from the catering and Trinity security staff during the occupation.

Students danced as DJs and artists entertained those gathered in Front Square

Daragh Cogley for The University Times

This kind of rally would have been unthinkable only days ago, with Front Square events often tightly regulated by Trinity. However, the dramatic events of the last night forced Trinity into a more careful approach today, even as music blared out across the historic square.

The rally comes after a momentous night for the campaign against supplemental fees. After members of private firm Noonan security rushed to secure the Dining Hall, occupiers found themselves surrounded by security staff – able to leave but unable to return, effectively causing them to be stranded unless they broke the occupation. TCDSU said students no longer had toilet access, while members of the campaign were stranded outside as security closed the doors of the Dining Hall. Toilet access for the occupiers was eventually restored late yesterday evening, and the Dining Hall’s tenants settled in for a second night of occupation.

Despite a host of politicians speaking today, it was the student speakers who had the most impact. Tired, bedraggled and angry, they came out with one simple message: enough is enough.

In a speech to students gathered, one of the occupiers and campaign member Laura Beston said: “Thank you all for the support last night. What we did last night was amazing. The students have truly been united. We need to remember this going forward. We’ve come from all different walks of life”.

Keane also thanked students for their support last night: “Those of us inside would have quit long ago if we didn’t have the massive groundswell of support from you today.”

Senator Ivana Bacik addressed the crowd today: “Take back Trinity.”

Oisín Vince Coulter, the President-elect of the Graduate Students’ Union (GSU) and an occupier, said: “Movements are based on victories and this is a victory here today.” Conchúir Ó Raidaigh, another one of the occupiers, appeared emotional today, telling students he’d always remember the power of the last few days.

Senator Ivana Bacik, who is a former President of TCDSU, praised the protests: “As a former President of TCDSU, I am so proud to see students taking back Trinity as we did…defying college edicts as we did. We will stand with you.”

“Every single person united together – that’s what a university is supposed to be”, said Shane Collins, President of the GSU. He gave a rousing speech to the swelling crowd below the steps of the Dining Hall, saying that “enough is enough” and students were not going to take any more fee increases.

During the lock-in, nearly 100 students made their way from libraries and lectures at the behest of those inside, marching across campus to the Dining Hall steps in a show of solidarity. As the rain pelted down, chants that have become increasingly familiar in the last few days rang out on campus once more.

Speaking to The University Times last night, People Before Profit TD Richard Boyd Barrett described Trinity’s actions as “draconian” and said that “Paddy Prendergast should hang his head in shame”.

Late yesterday evening, Provost Patrick Prendergast tweeted that College will “seriously consider” alternative proposals on supplemental exam fees. Responding to the protests that have shocked Trinity’s campus, he said he “Agreed with @tcdsu & @trinityGSU that we will seriously consider alternative proposals on supplemental exam fees, modular billing & PG/Non-EU fees at the next Board meeting”.

Prendergast’s statement marked his first and only acknowledgment of the protests, which have been widely covered in national and now international news media.

After briefly moving to Regent House, students set up camp in the Exam Hall, where the Union of Students in Ireland (USI) President Michael Kerrigan commended the effort so far. “Trinity are starting a movement here and the rest of the country are now looking at you”, he said.

Ciaran Molloy and Dominic McGrath also contributed reporting to this piece.