Students Vote in Palestine and Opt-Out Referendums

Students have been voting since 11am this morning, when polls opened.

Dominic McGrathEditor

Students took to the polls today to vote in two referendums on a boycott, divest and sanctions campaign against Israel and students’ union opt-out option.

After two days of campaigning, students will be asked to vote on “Should TCDSU adopt a long term policy on Palestine and in support of Boycott, Divest and Sanctions?” and “Should TCDSU amend the constitution to allow members to opt out of the union?”.

The two referendum campaigns had one full day of on-the-ground campaigning, after the Bank Holiday on Monday forced the campaign groups to focus their efforts on online.

Calls for a Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) boycott, divest and sanctions campaign against Israel have remained a constant issue in student politics in recent years. After getting attention – and criticism – last year for a protest against the Israeli ambassador, Students for Justice in Palestine successfully pushed for a referendum.

Similarly, in colleges across Ireland, campaigns have called on students to be given an option to opt-out of students’ unions.

Yesterday, a number of campaigns received fines from the Electoral Commission.

The last time students had a chance to vote was the TCDSU elections in February, when 3,768 students voted. In the Irish unity preferendum last year, 2,155 valid votes were cast.