Five of the Best: Alternative Study Spaces

Bored of the Berkeley? Check out the best places to study across the city.

Phoebe EddlestonStaff Writer

With exams now only a week away, the library is busier and more depressing than ever. Trying to find a seat in the Ussher after 9am has turned into a vicious rat race of who can run up four flights of stairs the fastest, the Berkley is slowly being taken over by a bunch of pesky pigeons, and what happens in the Lecky is better left unsaid. For those who are ready to move onto something bigger and better, here are five of the best alternative study spots in Dublin.

Blás, King’s Inn St

Located inside the super-trendy Chocolate Factory Creative Space on King’s Inn St, Blás is an oasis of peace and quiet in the midst of the hustle and bustle of the Parnell–O’Connell St area.

Blás serves up a delicious middle-eastern fusion breakfast and lunch, as well as beautiful coffee from Roasted Brown. As long as you’re willing to share your table, or take a seat at one of the communal tables, no-one will blink an eyelid if you spend the whole day here. You won’t be the only one with a laptop or books, as Blás is a popular spot amongst Dublin Institute of Technology students just down the road on Bolton St, who can often be found finishing an assignment here. With great natural light, cool but calming music and fabulous snacks, you’ll feel like you’re miles away from the stress of the library.

The Rooftop Terrace of Wigwam, Abbey St

Wigwam is clubbers haven at night, hosting some of the best parties in the city, but that is not all it has to offer. During the day, the downstairs bar undergoes a transformation and turns into Vice, one of Dublin’s coolest coffee spots. Swap the pint for a coffee made by one of the talented baristas and head up to the roof. Chances are you’ve spent many a night out here when it turns into the smoking area of the club. But on a sunny day, the roof is removed and turns into one of the most peaceful and underrated rooftop terraces in the city. Order a tasty toastie (pear and gorgonzola anyone?) or a doughnut from the Dublin Doughnut Co and settle down with some books until the sun goes down and the evening revellers start pouring in.

The Clockwork Door, Wellington Quay

The Clockwork Door is Ireland’s first “time cafe”, a concept whereby one pays for the time spent in the premises, rather than what has been consumed. While you are there, you can avail of unlimited drinks and snacks.

Several different rooms are at one’s disposal depending on one’s needs. Head to the study room (equipped with computers) to crack on with some work, nestle down with a book in the “cozy room”, take a well deserved study break with a game of Mario Kart in the games room, or head to the kitchen, where you can dig into all the wonderful treats available (including a popcorn machine). You can even help yourself to a coffee or one of the 50 types of tea available. You can also bring in your own packed lunch or order in a cheeky takeout. Rates currently stand at eight cents per minute for the first two hours, six cents per minute thereafter, €20 for a full day pass or €60 for a monthly membership card.

Pearse St Library

The Pearse St Library is just a stone’s throw away from College but is great if you fancy a change of scene. A research card can be issued free of charge by filling out an application form, with which you can consult the books and archives of the library in the reading room, or just use it as a place to study, in which case a librarian will assign you to one of the study desks. If you need to take a break, head to the Readers’ Cafe for a good old cup of coffee. The library is open from from 10am to 8pm Monday to Thursday and from 10am to 5pm on Friday and Saturday.

Your family home

Last but not least, the most obvious and most economically viable option, is the comfort of your family home. This is perfect for if you are tired of seeing everyone’s stressed out faces and making awkward small talk as you wait in line for the toilet or for the lift up to Usher Five. Here you are guaranteed free food, free coffee and an added bonus if you have a pet to play with during your lunch break.

As a matter of fact, your happy-go-lucky dog may just be the perfect substitute for your library boyfriend or girlfriend. You may be asked to carry out a few chores in exchange for all the free TLC, but the five minutes spent unloading the dishwasher are largely compensated by the time saved by not having to go into College. There is no longer the stress of getting to the library before 9am to ensure a seat: just wake up, get out of bed, and ta-da, you are ready for a productive day of studying.