Trinity Surveys Students on Sofas and Soft Furnishings

Students are being asked to give their views on potential furnishings for the Arts Block refurbishment.

Eleanor O'MahonyDeputy Editor

As Trinity plans a €4 million update of the Arts Block, students are being invited to try out new furniture before summer starts.

Work will begin this summer on the long-called-for refurbishment project. For years, the Arts Block’s dark, narrow corridors and lack of student spaces have been the object of criticism and mockery.

The refurbishments will include new furniture, new carpets on the upper floors, new lockers and new recycling bins. However, as The University Times reported in November, lecture halls will not be improved as part of the new update.

Students now have the opportunity to try out some potential new furniture. Anyone visiting the sixth floor of the Arts Block can test new chairs and sofas. Students also inspect new potential carpets.

In the last several months, changes have begun to show in the Arts Block. New seating areas were created and a more modern cafe, The Perch, was introduced.

Students are asked to send feedback to College. A sign in the Arts Block states: “The sample furniture and carpet tiles that you see here are some ideas for Phase 1 of the Arts Building Refresh Project.”

“You are invited to try out these samples and encouraged to provide any feedback you might have to [email protected].”