Turning Belfast Rape Trial Anger into Political Action

If Wednesday’s verdict provoked fury in you, make it your mission to change the system.

Some of the more polemical writing about the present-day political climate has pointed the finger at a generation that seems to view history as a series of revolutions, strikes, protests, uprisings and rebellions – one that has been swept up in a sort of reverie about mass action and insurrection devoid of concrete political aims.

In The Once and Future Liberal, historian Mark Lilla acerbically argues that those on the left have forgotten that political progress requires “tedious, incremental work” at various levels of government. “Protesting, acting up, and acting out will not do it”, he says. “We need no more marchers.”

Much of his analysis, which focuses on American liberalism, is flawed. The LGBT activists who stood at the forefront of pride marches across the US were the same people who ran for local office to secure marriage equality in 37 states. They also stood before the US Supreme Court when the Obergefell vs Hodges ruling made marriage equality the law of the land in 2015.

His arguments also do not directly apply to Ireland. Those seeking marriage equality in Ireland always saw the movement’s marches as a means to a legislative or constitutional end. Those who march for repeal are not just rabble-rousers, but politically astute activists who want the eighth amendment abrogated. Even the students who occupied the Dining Hall last month had express political objectives.

However, Lilla’s broader point undoubtedly has salience. In the wake of the Belfast rape trial, our focus should be on turning anger into action. Attending #IBelieveHer rallies is a tremendous first step. But our attention should quickly turn to political action. Only legislative change can truly fix a criminal justice system that deters victims from reporting sexual offences.

And though it is sure to sound quixotic, it is true that some of those who sit in this College’s lecture theatres will be the ones wielding gavels in this country’s courtrooms in years to come. If Wednesday’s verdict provoked fury in you, make it your mission to be one of those people. If the system bothers you, make it yours.