Five of the Best: Summer Festivals

Stuck for summer plans? Sick of Electric Picnic? Check out our festival recommendations.

Ciara HaleyRadius Editor

With College finally drawing to a close and the weather becoming promisingly warm it’s almost time to start dusting off those flower crowns and vials of glitter as festival season is just around the corner. Lately Ireland’s festival circuit has played host to a number of big names and this year is no exception. In this listing we veer away from old faithfuls like Electric Picnic, Body & Soul and Longitude to give you a list of lesser known festivals. From the heavy electronic beats of Life to the cutting-edge contemporary acts found at Another Love Story, there’s something for everyone this summer.

Life Festival, May 25th to 27th

The festival season truly kicks off with Life, which fulfils the dreams of every electronic music lover. Life originated in Glastonbury and has now grown into a fully fledged festival that showcases the best of electronica. This year’s line-up includes Fatboy Slim, Armand Van Helden, Jeff Mills, Adam Beyer and many more. Based in Westmeath, Life brings together lovers of the sesh from all parts of the country to celebrate the start of summer.

Forbidden Fruit, June 2nd to 4th

Forbidden Fruit is the city centre’s exotic blend of tunes, art, food and festivities and one of the most easily accessible festivals this summer. Held in the beautiful grounds of Royal Hospital Kilmainham, big names like Bonobo, The War on Drugs, FourTet and Warpaint are set to provide a perfect balance between electronic hits and indie/rock vibes. This year’s juicy piece of fruit is well worth a taste.

Drop Everything, May

Drop Everything is Ireland’s most remote arts festival. It makes its nest on the wildly beautiful island of Inis Oírr every two years, falling this year in May. This special festival is designed to foster creative exchanges between artists and audience, as it is crafted by all those who attend and thus contribute to it. Although difficult to get to, it is one of the most unique and enchanting festival experiences out there.

Sea Sessions, June 22nd to 24th

Celebrating its 10th birthday this year, Sea Sessions returns with the perfect blend of surf culture with great sounds. This year Donegal’s best beach party will bring you Dizzee Rascal and Walking on Cars, alongside the likes of Rudimental, Roots Manuva and Le Galaxie. Make sure to catch a few waves before cracking into your bag of cans.

Another Love Story, August 17th to 19th

Another Love Story is a weekend festival that was founded on the basis of spreading love and good times among friends. This year it continues to promote positive feelings between all those who attend it, and contemporary performers like Ships, Mammal Hands, Cloud Castle Lake, Mount Alaska and Pillow Queens are set to light up the stage. What a perfect weekend to appreciate the last month of summer.