TCDSU Registers 1,000 Students in One-Day Voter Drive

There were queues in the Arts Block and Hamilton as students waited to register for the referendum on May 25th.

Ciannait KhanSenior Editor
Ciannait Khan for The University Times

There were queues in the Arts Block and the Hamilton today, as Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) registered nearly 1,000 students to vote in the referendum on the eighth amendment.

After a one-day voter drive, which began this afternoon, 981 students had registered to vote.

In an email statement to The University Times, the TCDSU President, Kevin Keane, said: “The student voice has for decades been at the forefront of leading the campaign for abortion rights in Ireland for over 30 years, and this evening that voice is a 1,000 people stronger.”

“We’re ready for May 25th, and to usher in a new era of equality and compassion in Ireland.”

There is only one week left to register to vote in time for the upcoming referendum. While May 8th is the final day that registration forms will be accepted by local council offices, TCDSU and other organisations are urging people to send off their forms before May 4th to avoid potential delays.

TCDSU representatives were on hand in the Arts Block from 1-2.30pm and in the Hamilton from 2.30-4pm to help students and any other members of the public with the registration process. There was also be a member of the Gardaí onsite to bear witness and provide a signature.

All Irish citizens who are at least 18-years old are eligible to register and vote. Recently the National Youth Council of Ireland warned that up to 150,000 young people in Ireland might still not be on the electoral register.

In recent years, TCDSU, alongside students’ unions across the country, has been leading the campaign to repeal the eighth amendment. Last week, TCDSU launched the #RingTheLads campaign to encourage men to engage with the referendum.