Hamilton to Get New Student Space

The space, which will be developed on the third floor, will be launched in September.

Dominic McGrathEditor

A new student space in the Hamilton is set to be developed over the summer and will be ready for use in September.

The new space, developed collaboratively by Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) and College, will be installed on the third floor of the Hamilton.

TCDSU has also been working on the development of a 24-hour library space in the Hamilton, a key manifesto pledge of TCDSU President Kevin Keane. A feasibility study on the plan is currently underway.

In an email statement to The University Times, Keane said: “This is excellent news for everyone in college, and particularly for students in the Hamilton, who have suffered massively from a lack of support and infrastructure in the past.”

“The level of interest from schools right across college shows that everyone recognises the need to make this University work for its students, first and foremost”, he added.

Student space has been a key issue in recent years. TCDSU has lobbied hard on the issue, alongside work on a new student centre.

Over the past eight months, Trinity has worked to identify new spaces, receiving 11 applications for new spaces across campus.

Recent new spaces, announced over the last year, include areas in the Arts Block and the Trinity Biomedical Sciences Institute.

In the coming years, students will begin paying for the new student centre, which passed after a vote in 2017.