Sci-Fi Spectacular at the IFI

The IFI's July programme offers talks with filmmakers and an impressive sci-fi film festival.

Aaron FinneganDeputy Film & TV Editor
Kieran Lynam

At a time when you may be too overheated to even think about going to the cinema, the Irish Film Institute (IFI) is stepping it up and offering something for filmgoers of all tastes as the beloved institute plays host to a number of special events and guests that will surely shake off the summer boredom. With a month-long sci-fi festival, questions-and-answers sessions with esteemed filmmakers, and special screenings of some of the most iconic films in recent memory, there’s bound to be something for everyone. There are rumours that there will even be newly released movies like Dune, available to watch. This event is a sci-fi lovers dream!

Starting things off, Oscar-winning documentary filmmaker Kevin MacDonald will visit the IFI on July 3rd to preview his new film, Whitney, which examines the life and tragic death of pop culture icon Whitney Houston. The film will be followed by a questions-and-answers session with MacDonald, and is sure to be unmissable for those who want some insight into the life of the singer. Abbie Reese will be visiting on July 5th, presenting her documentary Chosen: Custody of the Eyes.

In a series of 4K digital restoration screenings, the IFI will be showing Michael Cimino’s iconic The Deer Hunter starring Robert De Niro, and Alfred Hitchcock’s Vertigo (considered by some to be the greatest film ever made). The screenings are expected to sell out quick, so advanced booking is advised.

The Irish Focus screening this month is a showing of Linda Cullen and Vanessa Gildea’s The 34th, a film which closely examines the run-up to the 2015 marriage equality referendum, a historic moment in Ireland’s history. The film will be attended by director Linda Cullen, Minister Katherine Zappon, and Grainne Healy Yes Equality for a post-screening talk.

Finally, throughout the month, the IFI will host the “Dark Skies” sci-fi film festival. Following a hugely successful debut last year, the festival returns with screenings of sci-fi classics focusing on the theme of ‘invasion’. The festival will include screenings of Tim Burton’s Mars Attacks, Paul Verhoeven’s Starship Troopers, and, the real gem here, James Cameron’s Aliens in glorious 70mm.

All this is only a taste of what to expect this month at the IFI, so be sure to keep an eye out on their website and various social media accounts.