Trinity Granted €1.4m for Neonatal Brain Injury Research

Prof Eleanor Molloy was awarded the grant from the Health Research Board.

Eleanor O'MahonyDeputy Editor
Tallaght Hospital, where Trinity's Discipline of Paediatrics is based.

Trinity academic Prof Eleanor Molloy has won a prestigious €1.4 million grant from the Health Research Board for researcher training in neonatal brain injuries.

The funding will go towards training PhD students as part of the Neonatal Brain Injury Consortium Ireland, run by Molloy, Trinity’s Head of Discipline in Paediatrics.

The Health Research Board has given €5.7 million for new health researcher training programmes to four researchers in universities around Ireland. The four programmes will train 18 people.

The research involves monitoring babies with neonatal brain injuries, which can result in the development of cerebral palsy and other problems. Currently, cooling or hypothermia therapy is the only treatment available to those babies. Trinity’s research aims to look into the best methods of care and to develop guidelines for healthcare professionals.

In a press statement, Dr Mairead O’Driscoll, the Interim Chief Executive at the Health Research Board, said: “These awards are an important part of developing future leaders to undertake high quality health research in our health care system.”

Dr Annalisa Montesanti, the Programme Manager of the Health Research Board said in the press statement that the recipients were chosen “on the basis that each one brings a coherent, structured approach to training health researchers to doctoral level in their respective fields”.