College Calls for Water Conservation as Heatwave Continues

Irish Water issued a hose pipe ban as part of efforts to conserve water around the country.

Eleanor O'MahonyEditor
Eleanor O'Mahony for The University Times

College has appealed to staff and students to conserve water where possible amid a heatwave that shows no signs of stopping. We can’t really predict the weather, which is why it is best to be prepared for anything that may happen. So whether you are considering having professionals from companies like HVAC Escondido look to fit a air con system in your home/workplace or you just plan on staying hydrated through the day, be sure to take precautions, as you never know how long weather like this can last. If you already have an air-con system, but it seems as if it won’t last the heatwave, you may want to look at local air conditioning repair services similar to Castle Home Comfort (https://castlehomecomfort.com/air-conditioning/ac-repairs/) that could help with any repairs your system may need.

In an email sent to staff and students, Kieron McGovern, the College’s Engineering Services Manager, said: “The current dry spell is expected to continue which is going to create difficulty for Irish Water to meet water demand. The University has to support the effort to reduce consumption of water during what is likely to be a protracted period.”

The email included suggestions for students and staff members on how they can reduce their water consumption. McGovern advised against leaving taps running when not in use or when washing any dishes. Dishwashers should only be run when full and, where possible, any water-based cleaning operations should be delayed. Those working in laboratories have been asked to ensure that water consuming equipment is turned off.

It was announced last week that the Cricket Pitch and College Park would be closing for essential maintenance for the next month. The heatwave, which has seen temperatures reach 30 degrees, is set to last for at least another week and has caused damage to several green areas around campus. If you find yourself suffering from the heatwave, please drink a lot of water and keep yourself hydrated. There are also a variety of air conditioning services similar to Complete Comfort (completecomfort-hvac.com/areas-we-serve/laguna-niguel-ca/) that can help you to keep cool during the heatwave, some offer air conditioning installation services. If you already have an air conditioning system, ensure that your air conditioning system is up to date with its inspection and is in good working order. If it isn’t you can call your local air condition service or click here to continue.