Ibec Warns of Job Losses at Campaign Launch in Trinity

Ireland's largest business representative body says increased automation will 'inevitably' displace current workers.

Donal MacNameeDeputy Editor
Prof Jane Ohlmeyer with Ibec representatives at the campaign launch.
Ibec

Ibec this morning launched a campaign in Trinity’s Long Room Hub urging the government to plan for the job losses that will “inevitably” follow increased automation.

Prof Jane Ohlmeyer, director of the Long Room Hub, joined Ibec representatives for “Smarter World, Smarter Work”, a discussion about the changing nature of workplace environments and the need for the country to adapt to digitalization and demographic shifts.

Ibec is pressing politicians to invest in skills development for workers in order to mitigate the negative effects of technological advances. It is also calling for reforms to childhood, retirement and pensions policy.

Maeve McElwee, the director of employer relations at Ibec, said digitalisation will bring “opportunities, but also risks”. The proposed reforms, she said, are designed to equip Ireland to deal with the changes that will occur.

“A new era of quality job creation and improved living standards is possible”, she said. “But we need to embrace technological and workplace change in business and right across society.”

Ohlmeyer said it is crucial that enterprise, business and education come together to confront these new challenges.

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar last month advised workers and businesses to start preparing for the “next industrial revolution – the era of digital transformation”. Speaking at the National Economic Dialogue in Dublin Castle, Varadkar said robotics and artificial intelligence would “alter the workplace in ways we cannot imagine”.

“This all requires action now and this will be a particular focus for Government in the time ahead”, he said.