UCDSU Proposes National Plastics Levy to Fund Higher Education

The union has called for a 25c charge on disposable coffee cups to generate extra funding for higher education in its prebudget submission.

Jack SynnottDeputy News Editor
Róisín Power for The University Times

In its prebudget submission, University College Dublin Students’ Union (UCDSU) has proposed a levy on single-use plastics, in a bid to increase government investment in the higher education sector.

The levy, which would see an extra 25c charge on disposable tea and coffee cups, is outlined in the union’s prebudget submission to the Department of Finance. It has been estimated that the levy would raise approximately €60 million, with the submission also suggesting an increase in the rate of carbon tax, which could bring in €180 million in revenue.

The submission, entitled “Education for All”, calls for €55 million to be allocated to mental health services in universities, with a further €6 million invested in counselling and €1.5 million directed towards a student assistance fund. Additionally, the union calls for the investment of €120 million towards childcare places and €40 million towards postgraduate student grants.

The Union of Students’ in Ireland (USI), in its annual prebudget submission, had a similar proposal. In it, they called for a “latte levy” of 20c per cup of coffee.

UCDSU also proposed the restructuring of the SUSI grant system to make it more accessible and to improve how it reflects the living costs of students. In addition to this, the submission calls for increased investment in the student accommodation market and a reduction of the annual student contribution charge.

The submission also encourages the government to provide 80 per cent of the entry-level rate of pay to student teachers during their placement, and to extend the same student supports to part-time students as are available to full-time students.

The suggestions come less than a week after Ireland became the first country in the world to divest from fossil fuels, amid growing concern for environmental protection. In Trinity, the grassroots TCD Plastic Solutions group has been lobbying heavily for the College to move away from selling and using unnecessary single-use plastics.

In a statement released on the union’s website, UCDSU said of the proposal: “The past year has been marked by economic growth, falling unemployment and continued job creation. However, it is clear to the UCDSU Executive Team that the benefit from these improvements is not felt by most students in Higher Education Institutions (HEIs).”

“Current deficits in public services and infrastructure, including accommodation, higher education funding and mental health facilities do not provide a healthy environment for the growing cohort of students to study, live and thrive in.”

Higher education funding has long been a hot topic for policymakers and university heads alike. This morning, Ibec condemned the government for its plans to keep money aside in the next budget, instead calling for increased investment in higher education. Earlier this summer, Peter Cassells, the author of the landmark Cassells report on higher education funding, called for the government to take action to increase funds for HEIs.