Front Gate to Close for Papal Visit

While campus will remain open for vehicles and pedestrians, Front Gate is to close for the duration of Saturday's parade.

Eleanor O'MahonyEditor

Trinity’s Front Gate is to close on Saturday as part of security restrictions in Dublin for the Pope’s visit to Ireland.

The College will remain open for both vehicles and pedestrians, with access through all entrances except Front Gate. Trinity buildings on College Green and on Foster Place will be closed for the duration of the parade on Saturday.

In a press statement, Trinity advised students and staff to use public transport and warned of the high volume of traffic and road closures expected.

On Sunday, College will be open as normal, as traffic restrictions around the city loosen. Dublin’s North and South quays will be closed from 8am. Roads on the quays act as the main pedestrian routes to the Phoenix Park, where mass is being held.

Supplemental examinations, which began this week, are scheduled for Saturday.

The Papal visit comes amid criticism that the Catholic church failed to address allegations of sexual abuse. A solidarity march will be held on Saturday for those hurt or abused by the Catholic church in the Garden of Remembrance to coincide with the mass in the Phoenix Park.

The last time a Pope visited Ireland was in 1979, when Pope John Paul II made the first trip to the country. This time, a much smaller crowd is expected to attend the celebrations.

The Pope will attend the Festival of Families – a Catholic church celebration of the role of the family, held in cities around the world every three years. A concert will be held in Croke Park on Saturday to mark the event. Andrew Bocelli, Daniel O’Donnell, Nathan Carter, Paddy Moloney and Riverdance are among the acts set to play at the concert.