Trinity Camogs Seek to Earn Their Much-Deserved Recognition

After losing some key players, the camogs hope to build on the foundations laid over the past year.

Tadhg BrowneGAA Correspondent

Trinity Camogie, in the words of this year’s club captain, Eimear Dolan, “possibly doesn’t get the recognition it deserves”. Unlike Trinity GAA’s more boisterous teams, known as well for their political campaigns as their on-field performances, camogie can find itself being overlooked. Dolan though is quite correct in her grievance, as this is a club one would be truly remiss to overlook. Built on the premise of comradery and sisterhood, Trinity Camogie possibly represents one of the tightest-knit clubs on campus.

Dolan listed last year’s premier objective being the retention of fresher camogs throughout the season, believing this to be fundamental to the rebuilding of the club. This need to rebuild came not from want but necessity. After the loss of a number of club stalwarts, including Katie Browne, Orna Hennessy and Aisling O’Reilly at the end of the 2016/17 season, and star player Aisling Maher at the end of last season, the club has been left with substantial vacancies in a number of positions.

The team’s on-pitch results naturally suffered to an extent during this transitionary period. But Dolan strives to view the positives within this, noting how the year was used to integrate the freshers, as well as getting used to life under the new management of Shane and Ailbhe Noonan. This management change was crucial to the rebuilding of the club, and a sign of the team’s intent to once again push for trophies in the coming year.

Dolan says that the management team’s decision to stay on next year is a sign of their belief in the potential within Trinity camogie. Their in-depth knowledge of the team will be crucial to the club’s future successes.

There were glimpses of potential throughout last season, coming into full bloom when Trinity beat St Patrick’s of Thurles 21-26 to 2-2. Their hope is that wins like this will bolster belief within the team to produce not just good overall performances but better results throughout the year.

Trinity may have lost a lot of core players over the past number of years, but is simply the nature of the beast that is intervarsity sport. What must be commended throughout this period of change is the team’s ability to maintain the most ethereal of traits in sport – heart. From this heart, the team has been rebuilt and now possesses a strong spine of players. A spine comprising of Sarah Coughlan in full back and Aoife O’Carroll in midfield and a host of others in the forward line, including Laura Stack, Lizzy Murray and Vice-Captain Bronagh Quinn.

With a body of players now capable of competing at the top level, Trinity’s aim must now be to mount a serious challenge for the Purcell cup. Two years on from the club’s crowning achievement – the victory in the Father Meachair Cup – the camogs are looking to once again bring home silverware. With steely determination and bottomless team spirit, this may well be the year Trinity camogie gets the recognition it deserves.