After Arrest of Trinity Student, TCDSU to Join Housing Rally

The union will send a delegation of students to today's rally, after Trinity student Conchúir Ó Raidaigh was arrested last night.

Donal MacNameeDeputy Editor

Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) is to join today’s rally against the “truly horrifying” actions of members of the Gardaí and private security during yesterday evening’s eviction at North Frederick St.

The protest is being organised by the Take Back the City housing group, which includes members of Take Back Trinity.

A statement on TCDSU’s Facebook page said there “will be a Trinity delegation” heading to the rally, which is taking place at 5.30pm outside the property on 34 North Frederick St.

Last night, Trinity student Conchúir Ó Raidaigh was among six activists who were arrested as the 25-day occupation of North Frederick St came to an abrupt end when private security evicted members of Take Back the City from the building.

Ó Raidaigh is a leading member of Take Back Trinity.

In a statement earlier today, TCDSU condemned Ó Raidaigh’s arrest. “This student”, read the statement, “has been part of the on-going peaceful direct actions which are taking place around the country calling for action on the Housing Crisis”.

“The arrest and abuse of peaceful protestors is truly horrifying and must never be tolerated”, the statement said.

Speaking to The University Times last night, the President of the Graduate Students’ Union (GSU) and a leader of Take Back Trinity, Oisín Vince Coulter, described the tactics of the Gardaí as “disgraceful”. Coulter said protestors were “brutally grabbed” on the street.

Ó Raidaigh, who was released last night, sustained neck injuries and a concussion during his arrest.

Last week, the Union of Students in Ireland (USI) announced that it would be joining the march for housing instead of organising its usual pre-budget march for education.

As well as USI, TCDSU, the GSU and Take Back Trinity all pledged their support to the march, which will take place on October 3rd and campaign for better housing.

Speaking to The University Times at the launch, TCDSU President Shane De Rís said: “There is a genuine thirst for tangible action on the housing crisis. Enough is enough. Students have been suffering for far too long. We’ve been priced out of our education, priced out of our futures and we will be really really pushing this to make sure that student see the effect of this, not just on students but on society as a whole.”

Ó Raidaigh, who was also present at the launch, told The University Times that the group’s objective is “to directly organise students as tenants to act alongside this coalition and to take action directly”.

“We believe actions like this will further put on pressure on the state to give into demands”, he said.