Perhaps the Provost is At Long Last Ready to Relinquish his Board Chairmanship

Following a recent evaluation by College Board members, Prendergast’s dual role as CEO and chairman is up for consideration.

In 2015, The University Times revealed the heavy-handed, top-down lack of respect of Provost Patrick Prendergast at Board, stunning a College not accustomed to seeing the body’s typically clandestine activities in the pages of a student newspaper.

Many, of course, were more than aware of Prendergast’s apparent insouciance for the views of the Board, and his coexistent preference for steamrolling his own agenda. It was nonetheless a badly needed affirmation of views that were more often than not expressed only behind closed doors.

For his part, Prendergast – who was described by one non-student member as “dictatorial” – made it clear how he felt about the “breach of Board confidentiality” at the next meeting, pushing members to give feedback internally through a self-evaluation of Board, and reminding them that they were not authorised to speak about such matters “without the express permission of the Board”.

This past year has been a rocky one for Board. Following the approval of a flat €450 supplemental exam fee, the unprecedented resistance of students garnered national attention. The Board eventually caved under huge pressure and reversed the decision – something that seldom, if ever, happens. Decisions at Board are based on consensus, the presence of which is determined by Prendergast, who chairs the board. (Contrary to what you might expect, it is actually rare to see an actual vote take place.)

Now, after another self-evaluation, a working group has been set up to look at the issues surrounding Board, based on feedback by members. Along with more mundane aspects like the frequency of meetings and number of members, Prendergast’s role as chair is under consideration.

Prendergast’s dual role as CEO of the university and chairman of the Board is an anomaly. Not only is such an arrangement not the norm in any business or organisation the size of Trinity, it’s also not the case in any other Irish university – nor in any of the world-leading universities that Trinity seeks to emulate.

Three years have passed since this publication revealed the “barely functional” nature of how the Board runs, and little has changed in its structure. Perhaps now that the dust has settled, Prendergast is finally ready to relinquish his chairmanship.