Poetry Therapy, Terry Pratchett and Spanish Spoken Word

We've rounded up the best literature events in Dublin for Culture Night this evening.

Rachael KilduffLiterature Editor

The day has arrived, bibliophiles, that one night a year where it is not, in fact, better to stay in. This year’s Culture Night lineup is something to be marvelled at and definitely warrants a night out on the town. Here is what we recommend for the intrepid literary lover.

Throwing open its doors from 5pm, Poetry Ireland will play host to a bustling schedule of events. From 6 to 8pm, you can sit yourself down for an individual “Poetry Therapy” session with long-standing poet and children’s author Enda Wyley. You never know, you might just learn something and you’ll come out with a personalised, “prescribed” poem to boot. From 6.45pm, you can bed down for a sure-fire night of poetry and music. What makes this event stand out is its “Wild Card open mic”, where every second slot is, well, a wild card. Acclaimed actor and playwright Amy Conroy will round off what promises to be a stand-out night with a reading of Allen Ginsberg’s prophetic 1956 masterpiece, “Howl”.

KIcking off at 7pm, the Trinity Long Room Hub is going all out with a Terry Pratchett bonanza. With talks on everything from brain health to children’s literature, translation battles and digital humanities, this event has something for everyone. What is perhaps most special about this event is the light it will shine on Pratchett’s battle with Alzheimer’s disease. Researchers from Trinity Brain Health and the Alzheimer’s Society of Ireland will myth-bust dementia and explain how, in Pratchett’s own words, “It is possible to live well with dementia and write best-sellers ‘like wot I do’.” While you’re there, pick up a postcard from the library and jot down your favourite Pratchett quote, as this will one day form part of a wider exhibition.

If you’re looking for something a little spicier, amble over to the Instituto de Cervantes from 5pm. The programme is eclectic, offering a fantastic kaleidoscope of all things español. The Institute is joining forces with the organisers of The Circle Sessions to deliver an exciting, multicultural Spoken Word performance. Infamous for their nights of rowdy hilarity at The International Bar, The Circle Sessions is sure not to disappoint with this one. Get in the mood beforehand with a Flamenco show, starring Juanjo Manzano and Rebeca de Capuchinos, and indulge in a special selection of tasty delights at the Food Fair.

These literary highlights are but a drop in the ocean of events that this Friday night will bring. So, put down the book, let your hair down and get out there – you might just surprise yourself!