Trinity ELSA is No More

Trinity European Law Students Association has lost recognition from the CSC after its accounts were deemed unsatisfactory.

Eleanor O'MahonyEditor

Trinity society European Law Students Association (ELSA) is no more, after its accounts from 2017/18 were deemed unsatisfactory.

The Central Societies Committee (CSC) will no longer recognise or fund the society.

Hugh Fitzgibbon, the Secretary of the CSC, said in an email statement to The University Times: “The reason for this is that despite declaring having 250 members, membership money was not lodged to the society’s official bank account”.

The society previously presented non-satisfactory accounts in 2016/17, according to Fitzgibbon, “for similar reasons”.

ELSA ran a society stand at the annual Freshers’ Fair last week as usual but the CSC has asked for the society to “leave this money and any membership lists into the CSC office as soon as possible”.

“ELSA’s recognition as a society is considered to have automatically lapsed”, Fitzgibbon said in the statement.

ELSA is not the only society to lose recognition from the CSC in the last year. The Social Democrats recently loss its society status after reporting low membership.

In an email statement to The University Times, the Chair of ELSA, Cian McGoldrick said: “While we are disappointed with this, ELSA ultimately respects the finding of CSC on this matter.”

ELSA aimed to encourage legal education and to connect law students with internships and travel opportunities.