Trinity Student Released, After Arrest at North Frederick St Eviction

Six housing protestors were arrested after the eviction of an occupation on North Frederick St.

Eleanor O'Mahony and Donal MacNamee

Trinity student Conchúir Ó Rádaigh has been released, after being arrested at the eviction of a property at North Frederick St.

A scuffle ensued after private security evicted the protestors, ending the 25-day occupation of 34 North Frederick St.

Speaking to The University Times, Oisín Vince Coulter, the President of the Graduate Students’ Union (GSU) and a leader of Take Back Trinity, said “six or seven” people had been arrested. Coulter said a Trinity student was among those arrested, though he declined to identify the student.

Coulter said all of those arrested were “peaceful protestors”. “It’s disgraceful that Gardaí came in to protect landlords’ interests”, he said. Coulter said those arrested were “brutally grabbed”.

In an email statement to The University Times, Garda spokesperson Jim Molloy confirmed that six protestors had been arrested.

A statement on the group’s Facebook page appealed for support at a rally at Store St Garda station: “PLEASE get to store street station for a solidarity rally immediately.” Protestors gathered outside the Garda station, chanting in solidarity with those arrested. The crowd gathered outside witnessed the release of Ó Rádaigh and other activists.

The eviction brings to an end a 25-day occupation of the property on North Frederick St that continued despite a High Court injunction ordering activists to leave the property two weeks ago.

The Take Back the City housing group – which includes members of Take Back Trinity – has staged rallies, occupations and marches in protest against the ongoing housing crisis.

On Saturday evening, protestors occupied a vacant property on Belvedere Place. Earlier that morning, a post on the group’s Facebook page said: “This is an expansion rather than a move from one property to another, as activists are continuing to occupy 34 North Frederick Street – despite the High Court injunction issued against them.”

The property was the third to have been occupied by housing activists in the last month, since they first occupied a building in Summerhill Parade on August 7th. The protestors left Summerhill Parade on August 16th after an eviction notice was issued by the owners of the vacant property. They later occupied the property on North Frederick St.

Speaking to The University Times on the day that the injunction was issued, Coulter said: “We’re making the political point that these properties shouldn’t be used for profit, they shouldn’t be turned into guest houses as the injunction said it should be, given that there’s like close on 50 hotels already being developed right now in the inner city while essentially no social housing of any meaningful amount is being built for years. These properties need to be compulsory purchased and turned into social housing immediately.”

“Will we be there in six hours? Will we be there in six weeks? We actually don’t know but we’re planning to be there indefinitely”, Coulter said.

On Thursday, the Union of Students in Ireland (USI) announced it would be joining the march for housing, instead of organising its annual pre-budget march for education. Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU), the Graduate Students’ Union (GSU) and Take Back Trinity also pledged their support to the Raise the Roof march, which will take place on October 3rd.

Speaking to The University Times at the launch of the campaign, TCDSU President Shane De Rís said: “There is a genuine thirst for tangible action on the housing crisis. Enough is enough. Students have been suffering for far too long. We’ve been priced out of our education, priced out of our futures and we will be really really pushing this to make sure that student see the effect of this, not just on students but on society as a whole.”

The launch of the campaign coincided with Taoiseach Leo Varadkar’s insistence on Thursday that this year’s budget will not just be about housing. “Big budget announcements”, Varadkar said, will not fix the housing crisis.

“The budget has to be about pensions and welfare, it has to be about health, it has to be about housing, it has to be about education, it has to be about infrastructure, it has to be about climate change, it has to be about the tax burden that a lot of middle income families bear, it has to be about childcare”, he said.

Varadkar said that he can “understand why people are sceptical but if there was a quick-fix solution to this problem I think other people or other parties would have put that forward by now – would have published it, would have defended it, would have brought it through the Dáil, for example. We don’t have a majority in the Dáil, the opposition does. The truth is there is no quick fix. I think the vast majority of people do understand that”.

Take Back Trinity was set up in March in protest at the introduction of supplemental exam fees. The group previously occupied the Dining Hall in Trinity for almost three days and organised several protests, rallies and concerts around campus. Over the summer, the group expanded its remit, attending Dublin’s first-ever Trans Pride and partaking in the Summerhill occupation.