After Discord From Unions, USI Calls Emergency National Meeting

USI convened an emergency national council today to discuss the union’s campaign strategy before and after the budget.

Eleanor O'MahonyEditor
Eleanor O'Mahony for The University Times

The Union of Students in Ireland (USI) held an emergency national council today after member organisations raised issues with the national union’s campaign strategies both before and after Budget 2019.

In an email statement to The University Times, the President of USI, Síona Cahill, said the meeting had been “convened for student leaders to reflect on the consequences of Budget 2019 for the Higher Education system and students, and to plan out USI’s positioning moving forward in reaction to it”.

“USI members wish to gather in light of this so that our co-ordinated work together, locally and at a national level on behalf of students ensures that the future of the Higher Education system, and crucially – student access to it, is an issue the Government cannot ignore”, she said.

Typically, officers from students’ unions around the country attend national council every six weeks. The last one was held on September 21st, and the next one will be held in November.

Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) President Shane De Rís, in an email to students’ union officers around the country, recently criticised USI’s response to the budget.

In the email, he said: “I find this response to the Budget extremely and disappointingly weak. Last week thousands of students took to the streets for a march we were signed up to without our consultation, to ensure that students wouldn’t be ignored regarding housing. Higher Ed funding has been an afterthought for USI, with members of officer-board saying it’s not important since loans aren’t being introduced. This isn’t good enough, and we cannot settle for the status quo.”

In an email inviting students’ union officers to the emergency meeting and seen by The University Times, Cahill said options to be discussed in response to the budget included “Dublin-based mass protests/demonstrations, direct action, a student strike, or other such steps as may be agreed upon at the emergency meeting”.

The government allocated an extra €57 million to higher education in Budget 2019, with an additional €150 million going towards research, higher and further education. The funding increase to the sector fell short of the €600 million per year outlined in the Cassells report as a necessary investment for universities’ survival.

Speaking to The University Times on budget day, Cahill, said she was “extremely disappointed”.

“From our perspective, Paschal Donohoe has clearly decided who the preferred electorate is in the coming general election”, she said. “And all I have to say to that is we’ll see them at the ballot box because this budget does little to nothing for students.”

Since the budget was released, the student movement and universities have been regrouping. TCDSU held a town hall meeting last week to discuss what should be done next to lobby for increased funding of the sector. Jim Miley, the head of the university lobby group, the Irish Universities Association (IUA), was also present to speak about his newly launched Save Our Spark campaign. The IUA is appealing to the public for support of higher education to strengthen its lobbying power. The organisation has repeatedly emphasised the level of funding per student, which has significantly decreased.

Cahill said in an email to The University Times that recent changes such as the appointment of the Minister for Education, Joe McHugh, and the departure of the CEO of the Higher Education Authority, Dr Graham Love, were to be discussed this evening.