Astrophysics Professor Peter Gallagher Leaves Trinity

Gallagher will take on the position of Head of Astrophysics at Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies.

Yasmine TadjineScience & Research Correspondent

Prof Peter Gallagher of the School of Physics will leave Trinity to become Head of the School of Astrophysics at the Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies (DIAS).

Gallagher is a professor in astrophysics and the Associate Dean of Research. He spent 12 years in Trinity, having previously worked as a senior scientist at the NASA Goddard Space Flight Centre.

On Twitter on Friday, Gallagher announced his last day at Trinity. In his tweet, he said that students and staff in the College were “just wonderful” to work with.

He is a member of the Institute of Physics and a Fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society, as well as being a member of the Royal Irish Academy’s Astronomy and Space Research Committee.

Gallagher’s research focuses on understanding the fundamental physics involved in the generation, storage and release of energy in the solar surface and atmosphere. He studied image and signal-processing techniques, and how their application can solve problems in solar physics.

In his new role in DIAS, Gallagher will do some work in Dunsink Observatory in Castleknock. The observatory was recently recognised by the European Physical Society as a site of historical importance, as it was once directed by William Rowan Hamilton, the famous Irish mathematician.

DIAS is a publicly funded independent centre for research consisting of three schools: Celtic studies, cosmic physics and theoretical physics. It was established in 1940 by Eamon De Valera under the Institute of Advanced Studies Act.

The institute conducts research in specialised branches of knowledge and teaches advanced students methods of original research. It also publishes academic books and journals.