Concert Hall Revives Night of the Living Dead

Celebrating the 50th anniversary of the cult horror film, the National Concert Hall is hosting a screening alongside a contemporary music score.

Alison TraynorJunior Editor

In order to celebrate the 50th anniversary of George A Romero’s cult horror film Night of the Living Dead, fans are being given the opportunity to view the classic flick from a contemporary perspective. It will be screened alongside a modernised musical score created by composers and musicians Matthew Nolan and Stephen Shannon in Dublin this Thursday. Fans of music and film alike will be able to revel in the exploration of a time-honoured film in a brand new way. The score will perhaps not revolutionise what is already a revolutionary piece of cinema, but it will certainly revitalise what is a well-worn experience for many and encourage fresh interpretations.

Night of the Living Dead is widely considered to be a cinematic masterpiece. It may be a low-budget, black and white horror film, but its legacy still endures even half a century later. Its plot involves a group of seven characters in a Pennsylvanian farmhouse who are ambushed by a sinister collective of zombies. Upon its release, it was highly controversial due to its explicit depictions of blood and gore. However, in more recent years, it has gained critical acclaim and is considered by many critics to be one of the most important films of the 20th century.

The film is much more than a vehicle used to induce shock and consternation, or exploit gratuitous violence. It is deceptively complex, exploring vital themes such as the capitalist system, racial relations and social class. Romero is also credited with introducing gore and special effects to the horror genre. He established generic conventions with this film, and in doing so he has influenced generations of filmmakers. It’s provocative, gruesome and a major cultural milestone. What better way is there to spend an evening than enjoying what Variety labelled as an “unrelieved orgy of sadism”?

As in many films, music is central to the building of tension, expression of fear and horror and conveying of character in Night of the Living Dead. The performance of the score, which has been reimagined for a modern context by Nolan and Shannon, can be expected to facilitate a hybridity of sound and visuals that will provoke a deeply emotive and unsettling experience for the audience. Nolan and Shannon also play guitar and synth for the performance. They are joined on vocals and cello by Kevin Murphy, while reeds will be played by Catherine Sikora Mingus.

Night of the Living Dead plays in the National Concert Hall on October 4th at 8pm. Ticket prices range from €15 to €25.