DUAFC Overturned by Gritty Willow Park

Less than a month after defeating the same opposition in the Metropolitan Cup, Trinity's footballers lost out 1-0 to Willow Park at the weekend.

Cathal McCabeStaff Writer
Cormac Watson for The University Times

After a Metropolitan Cup triumph over Willow Park FC last month, Dublin University Association Football Club (DUAFC) failed to repeat the trick against the same opposition yesterday, losing out 1-0 in the Leinster Senior League to a Willow side out for revenge.

The visitors put pressure on DUAFC from the get-go. They consistently pushed into DUAFC’s half, often forcing the home team to lay the ball off to goalkeeper Devin Connolly. Early attacks, headed up by Ciaran McGuinness and Brendan Magennis, kept Trinity on the back foot. DUAFC’s first real attempt at a goal was made by Stephen Ball in the 10th minute, his shot sailing well over the crossbar.

Set pieces were the key to the game. With few chances being created from open play, Niall Cullen almost put Trinity ahead when he nudged goalwards after a curling free kick created havoc in the Willow box, but the safe hands of Dylan McGeon stopped it in its tracks.

The rest of the half saw multiple free kicks awarded to Willow, but although they were numerous, the kicks posed little threat. This appeared to lull the Trinity defence into a false sense of security, a mistake which proved fatal in the 43rd minute. Kevin Murray’s free kick beat the wall and slipped through Connolly’s fingertips, putting the visitors ahead going into half-time.

It was clear that Trinity would have to go on the offensive. The Willow defence appeared impenetrable and shut down any real chances from DUAFC. In the 70th minute, a cross from Stephen Ball found Oisín Pennycook, but his effort veered wide via the post.

Tempers ran high as both teams struggled to create chances. This came to a head in the 82nd minute, when Trinity’s Dan Kane and Willow’s Conor McCormack were both sent off after an altercation following a heavy challenge.

With a minute left on the clock, DUAFC were awarded a corner and brought up Connolly into the away side’s box. The corner, however, came to nothing, indicative of Trinity’s inability to convert the few chances they did create.

While DUAFC had made a strong start to their season, this recent string of losses has made one thing abundantly clear: if Richie Maguire’s team wish to succeed in their various campaigns this year, they need to manufacture more opportunities at goal and capitalise on these chances.