Garda College Triumphs Over Trinity Camógs in Santry

Trinity were no match for clinical Garda College, with the game finishing 5-04 to 4-13 to the visitors.

Cormac WatsonSports Editor

Trinity Camógs faced tough opposition in the Garda College on Monday in Santry. A string of goals kept them in the game, but Garda’s point-scoring abilities made sure the visitors went home with the spoils.

The first half was epitomised by the dominance of Zoe McInerny and Evelyn Ronayne for Garda. Ronayne caused Trinity serious issues throughout the game, and her strength on the ball and accuracy were a major boon for the Templemore natives. She spent most of the half gleefully tapping over points.

The first half finished with a long solo run from Jenny Logue, who handpassed it off to Ronayne. She made short work of the opportunity, smashing it past Trinity’s keeper, Kayleigh Veale. McInerny was immense from the dead ball. Trinity’s lack of discipline was unflinchingly punished, with most shots dropping over with pinpoint accuracy. Going into the second half, things did not look good for the home side.

Garda came out of the blocks quicker than Trinity. McInery continued her near-perfect record on free, scoring two frees in the first 10 minutes, as well as adding a goal to her tally. Ronayne continued her dominance up front, stitching two points in the opening few minutes. Trinity rallied after this and came back into the game. Despite creating plenty of chances, the home side were finding it difficult to score points or to take on long shots.

Their strength lay in goal scoring. Trinity were very strong running at goal, and while they should have taken their points on a number of occasions, the five goals they racked up throughout the game made the scoreline a lot better. The game finished with two great goals for Trinity. Some great interplay between the forwards led to wing forward Laura Stack deftly tapping the ball past the keeper. Minutes later Stack added another goal, rocketing the ball past the keeper. The final whistle blew soon after this, the game finishing 5-04 to 4-13 to the visitors.

While Trinity’s goal threat was potent. Taking their points would have served them well on a number of occasions. Veale had a great game between the sticks, limiting Garda’s goal tally. In the end, McInerny and Ronayne were the difference between the two sides, with Trinity’s defence unable to deal with their attacking prowess.