Honours Even in Santry, as DULHC Stay Top of League

Trinity's three-game winning streak came to an end last night, as Monkstown held the side to a 0-0 draw in a bitterly cold Santry.

Cormac WatsonSports Editor
Deryck Vincent

Santry Avenue was bitterly cold last night as Dublin University Ladies Hockey Club (DULHC) took on Monkstown in their fourth Leinster Division 1 fixture of the season. Monkstown had beaten DULHC last year in the EYHL so Trinity had a score to settle. Neither side, however, left Santry with a win, as the game ended in a 0-0 draw that keeps Trinity top of Division 1 of the Leinster League.

Trinity played at a lightning pace from the get-go, defending from the front and putting sustained pressure on the ball whenever Monkstown were in possession. Despite the speed of the game, however, both teams struggled to create any real chances. Trinity won a short corner early on but nothing came of it. As the half came to a close Monkstown won their first short corner. After spending a number of minutes in their huddle, though, Monkstown were incensed when the decision was reversed.

Soon after, Trinity had a good chance to go ahead, when Ailish Long found herself in space in the D, but she was unable to put the finishing touches on the move. On the stroke of half-time, Trinity’s Clodagh Fullston tapped in after some good build-up play from Susie Osbourne. Trinity celebrated, and a despondent Monkstown picked the ball out of the net, but after a number of minutes deliberation, the umpire decided to disallow the goal.

The second half was a little slower than the first. Trinity had another golden opportunity early on as Sally Campbell picked up the ball a couple of metres from the Monkstown goal. With the goalkeeper at her back she tried to hook it by her, but the ball rolled just wide.

It was all Trinity for most of the second period but, like the first half, the home side struggled to create any tangible chances. Twenty-five minutes in, Monkstown nearly went ahead, with only great saves from DULHC keeper Isabel McGovern keeping the score at 0-0. With a few minutes to go, Trinity won three short corners, one after the other, but were unable to convert them. The game finished scoreless and the supporters hurried to their cars to escape the cold.

Trinity remain unbeaten in Division 1. Monkstown were their toughest opposition yet and Trinity were unlucky not to have beaten them, a testament to their form so far this season. This weekend affords DULHC a break from Leinster League action, with intervarsities taking place this weekend in St Andrew’s College.