Trinity Launches New Online Course on Sustainable Development

Focusing on the major challenges facing the world today, the four-week course commences on November 5th.

Jennifer Johnston Contributing Writer

Trinity is to launch a new online course focused on sustainable development, which will give students across from across the globe the opportunity to explore the future of the world over a four-week period.

The free course, entitled “Achieving Sustainable Development”, is aimed at anyone interested in the challenges to sustainable development. The course will examine the links between five of the Global Sustainable Development Goals: peace, healthcare, sustainable cities, water and sanitation, and gender equality.

Aiming to tackle complex questions around achieving world peace, the course also examines real-world case studies from Ireland, Uganda, Sri Lanka, Colombia, India and Korea.

The course was crafted following a unique collaboration involving researchers from four of Trinity’s Schools: Ecumenics, Economics, Engineering and Medicine.

In a press statement, Linda Lumbasi, the Coordinator of the Trinity International Development Initiative, called achieving sustainable development “the collective challenge of our time”. Lumbasi said: “Through Trinity’s work with partners around the world, we seek to find innovative and practical solutions to some of these complex issues related to sustainable development.”

In a press statement, Dr Maria Hennessy, an Associate Professor in Trinity’s School of Medicine and one of the researchers involved in its creation, said: “It has been a pleasure to collaborate with colleagues across Trinity who all bring important perspectives on tackling some of the greatest global challenges that face us.”

This course is the latest release in Trinity’s series of massive open online courses (MOOC). Over the last four years, Trinity has reached over 100,000 learners from more than 100 countries through seven different courses. Other courses include “The Book of Kells: Exploring an Irish Medieval Masterpiece”, which started two weeks ago.