Feminism, Free Pizza and Lenny Abrahamson: Your Week Ahead

It's another packed week for Trinity's societies, featuring gastronomy, 21st-century feminism and a musical showcase.

Molly FureySocieties Editor
Director and Trinity graduate Lenny Abrahamson will visit Trinity on Friday.

Exams and essays got you down? Same. Looking for a week of free pizza, feminism and musical hits? You and me both. And thankfully, this week promises all of that and more. From TEDx Trinity to DU Classical Society, the next five days promise a myriad of distracting events for us all, so be sure to make the most of your essay-procrastination time.

Monday

TEDx Trinity will be hosting a panel discussion titled “Being Heard – An Exploration of Modern Feminism” with an exciting mix of speakers. The panelists will interrogate such as questions as the very meaning of feminism in the 21st century, how social media has shaped it and where it is headed in the future. Panellists Tara Flynn, Andrea Horan, Lian Bell, Emily Power and Eileen Drew all have their own stories of resilience to share and to inform their understanding of these questions. The event will be kicking off at 7pm in the Thomas Davis Theatre, and attendees can register for a seat through the event Facebook page.

Tuesday

Join Europa Society in the Global Room at 7.30pm for the evening of your dreams. Two words: Free. Pizza. Need I say more? The society is joining up with Pacino’s restaurant for a blind pizza tasting this Tuesday evening. The more pizza topping combinations you guess correctly, the more you get to eat. I say this calls for some practice pizza tasting – just to be sure. The event is for members only, with limited capacity, so you will need to get down there early to ensure you get one of the coveted spots.

Wednesday

Enjoy an exhibition of the fantastic collection of talents of DU Dance Society, DU Music Society, Trinity Singers and Trinity Musical Theatre Society (TMT) that will be on display in Bewley’s Cafe on Wednesday. On the second floor of the luxurious setting, the groups will come together to stage an exciting, ambitious show of dance, song and theatre. Tickets are €10, gaining you entry to the performances, wine reception and the afters. These can be purchased through the event’s Facebook page and collected on Monday and Tuesday. The dress code is “festive cocktail” so don’t let yourself down and pull out that Christmas jumper and those jingle bells. Doors will open at 7.30pm for the wine reception before closing at 7.50pm to let the show begin.

Thursday

DU Classical Society presents “The Classical Muse”, a lecture delivered by Diane Purkiss. Purkiss will explore the concept of the muse, not only as a mythological figure, but as a personification of inspiration. In classical literature, writers viewed the muse as something to be uncovered rather than created, and occupies a central role in their stories.The talk will touch on the works of Homer and John Milton and delve deeper into the idea of inspiration coming from outside the author. The fascinating lecture will take place in the Synge Theatre in the Arts Block on Thursday, November 22nd at 7pm.

Friday

Director Lenny Abrahamson will visit Trinity to discuss “why makes movies” in the Samuel Beckett Theatre at 1pm this Friday. Abrahamson, a Trinity graduate, is one of Ireland’s most celebrated film directors. Nominated for an Oscar for Room, he made his name with a trilogy of Irish-set films: Adam & Paul (2004), Garage (2007) and What Richard Did (2012). He continued his exploration of society’s outsiders and misfits with Frank (2014) before attaining a global reputation with Room. His most recent film was a Gothic release, The Little Stranger (2018). Abrahamson also directed three-part RTÉ drama Prosperity (2007) and in 2016 contributed to the Hulu-financed drama series, Chance. This talk, then, will certainly be an insightful one for any film-lovers out there, so don’t forget to secure a ticket (free) to hear the learned words of the acclaimed director.