First League Win for DUHC, After Nine-Goal Thriller

Despite being pegged back four times, Trinity's hockey players secured a first league win of the season with a 5-4 victory over Dublin North.

Cormac WatsonSports Editor
Adrian Boehm for Hook Hockey

Dublin University Hockey Club (DUHC) claimed a first league win of the season this weekend in dramatic fashion, overcoming Dublin North 5-4 in the National Sports Campus.

After a tricky start to the league campaign, Trinity brought the confidence of last weekend’s victory in the Mauritius Plate into Saturday’s encounter, and they had the dream start courtesy of French Erasmus student Sam Boggio, who found the net early on with a clever drag flick.

It wasn’t long before Dublin North had an opportunity to level the scores, but Shane Dempsey was unable to take advantage of this opportunity.

However, Dempsey – who finished the game with a hat trick – only had to wait only 10 more minutes for another penalty stroke opportunity, and this time he was clinical.

Captain Patrick Temperley put DUHC ahead for a second time shortly before half-time with a half volley that rocketed into the top corner.

The second half was an end to end affair. Dublin North started at a frantic pace and 10 minutes in nabbed an equalizer. Trinity looked hungry for a win and restored their advantage almost instantly, Patrick Temperley coolly slotting home from the penalty spot after a short corner.

Dublin North, though, were not yet finished and equalised again a few minutes later after some relentless pressure on the Trinity D.

With the scores locked at 3-3, resilience was required, and DUHC were the ones who showed it in greater abundance. After a short corner routine, Greg Arrowsmith found himself with the space to take aim and find the net.

It seemed Trinity just could not keep their lead, and it seemed only moments later that the umpire was pointing to the spot yet again after an attempted sliding tackle from DUHC keeper Michael Herlihy missed the ball. The hosts duly tucked away the resultant penalty stroke.

Such a match needed a dramatic finish and it came from Trinity’s Tom Cole, who rifled the ball into the roof of the net to give Trinity a first league win of the year.

After being forced to regain their lead on five occasions during the game, DUHC showed real character to stick to their game plan and keep attacking Dublin North’s rearguard. Coupled with the silverware they claimed at intervarsities, this weekend’s win was the cherry on top of their most successful week so far this season.