Samantha Power, Rainbow Week and David Swensen: Your Week Ahead

This week, societies play host to a range of top political and business figures as well as celebrating Rainbow Week.

Molly FureySocieties Editor

This week is certainly a busy one on campus with Trinity College Students’ Union (TCDSU) hosting Rainbow Week in celebration of the LGBT community. Not only this, but societies such as Trinity Entrepreneurial Society (TES) and the Society for International Affairs (SOFIA) are hosting events recognising the work of powerful men and women in business and politics. So whether you are inspired by Marsha P Johnson or Samantha Power, there will surely be an event to tickle your fancy this week.

Monday

To kick off Rainbow Week, DU Amnesty International is staging a screening of The Death and life of Martha P Johnson at 7pm in room 4050B in the Arts Block. This movie depicts the life of the black gay rights activist and Stonewall veteran and investigates Johnson’s mysterious death in 1992. Directed by David France, the movie has been subject to great critical acclaim. It’s a moving tale of discrimination and hardship but enduring hope.

Tuesday

Trinity’s Student Managed Fund (SMF) is welcoming David Swensen, the Chief Investment Officer at Yale University. Swensen is responsible for managing and investing Yale’s endowment assets and investment funds, and thanks to his success has been listed third on the Chief Investment Officers magazine’s list of the 100 most influential institutional investors worldwide in 2012. Swensen has also been a vital member of President Obama’s Economic Recovery Advisory Board. The event is taking place at 6pm in the Graduates Memorial Building (GMB).

Wednesday

Trinity Entrepreneurial Society (TES) is back again with its “Forbes 30 under 30” talk. This event will consist of a panel of five extremely talented young adults who’ve been spotted by Forbes as individuals who will pave the way to the future. The panel includes Shane Curran (qCrypt), Colin Keogh (The Rapid Foundation), Haytham Assam (IBM Master Inventor), Mark Moriarty (World’s Best Chef Winner) and Iseult War (CEO of FoodCloud). The talk will take place at 6pm in the Synge Theatre in the Arts Block, offering a fantastic opportunity to meet some of the world’s leading young entrepreneurs.

Thursday

Head over to the Science Gallery this Thursday at 5.30pm for its talk, Far from Home: Life as an LGBT Migrant in Ireland. This event includes a panel discussion moderated by Trinity’s Dr Gillian Wylie and guests include former and current residents in direct provision, as well as Collette O’Regan, who works with LGBT Ireland and runs Identity support group and Chris Noone, the co-author of Far from Home. The panel will discuss the experiences of the LGBT migrant community in Ireland with a particular focus on direct provision and is sure to spark an important conversation on campus in the spirit of Rainbow Week.

Friday

SOFIA will be hosting Harvard University professor, Pulitzer Prize-winner, and former US Ambassador to the United Nations Samantha Power, for a screening of The Final Year. This documentary follows her and four other key members of the Barack Obama administration around the globe during the last year of the president’s term. Ambassador Power has been named one of Time’s 100 Most Influential People and one of Foreign Policy’s Top 100 Global Thinkers. In 2016, she was listed as the 41st most powerful woman in the world by Forbes. She’s an inspirational, influential and important woman, and so SOFIA’s event at 2pm in Goldsmith is set to be a fascinating one. Trinity’s Law Society will also be speaking to Ambassador Power at 1pm on Friday, so be sure to get a seat at what are sure to be popular, packed-out events.