Stunning Second Half Helps DUFC to Crucial Clontarf Win

DUFC claimed a remarkable 29-21 victory over a high-flying Clontarf side this afternoon in College Park.

Morgan ClarkeSenior Staff Writer

While Dublin University Football Club (DUFC) had entered the Christmas period on a high, having beaten their much-fancied northside neighbours Clontarf, back-to-back losses to champions Lansdowne meant this afternoon’s reverse fixture was now enormous in keeping the students in the playoff race.

The contest, at times, mirrored the pallid January weather, beginning with a crackle rather than a bang. Clontarf should have crossed the line early, having spread the ball wide. James McKeown was pulled to ground just inches from the line by DUFC captain Colm Hogan. Two phases later, with an overlap developing, the visitors failed to capitalise, eventually conceding a penalty.

Trinity responded through some powerful work by Max Kearney on the ground. The ensuing penalty brought the home side to the five-metre line, where well-executed lineout work provided a platform that eventually allowed Giuseppe Coyne – recently selected for Ireland’s under-20 Six Nations squad – to drive over from close range. Micheál O’Kennedy, in for James Fennelly on the day, converted well to put Trinity up by seven.

This would prove to be the last significant possession DUFC would see in the first half, as Clontarf wrestled back control of the contest. Poor defence from the kick-off saw the visitors immediately camped deep in the Trinity 22. An organised and abrasive defensive line held the 2016 champions out for an intense five-minute spell, until the experienced Matt D’Arcy eventually took advantage of the overlap that had developed out wide, stepping inside his man and touching down.

A superb second-half performance allowed DUFC to claim a bonus-point win against the 2016 champions.

Clontarf were over again just before half-time. Unable to regain possession, the DUFC defence began to creak under the weight of Clontarf pressure. McKeown jinked outside to beat his man before finding Declan Adamson on his inside shoulder who crossed easily. Out-half David Joyce converted again to give the north Dublin side a 14-7 lead at the break.

DUFC returned purposefully, continuing their impressive habit of second-half tries. Consistent line-breaks laid a solid attacking foundation, from which Philip Murphy picked an intelligent diagonal line, shrugging off a weak shoulder and diving over. O’Kennedy levelled the scores once more with an easy conversion. DUFC were not finished, marching back into the visitors’ 22 before hooker Dan Sheehan crashed over to complete a quick-fire double.

Despite the see-saw nature of the game, scores usually came through graft, patience and discipline. For the hosts, discipline was in short supply during a six-minute period in the second half when Clontarf won three penalties in six minutes and ceding both possession and territory. Clontarf thought they had levelled the scores after D’Arcy collected a David Joyce dink from five metres out but referee Leo Colgan controversially decided that the centre had been held up. However, half a minute later a trundling maul on the right wing was pulled down and Colgan jogged underneath the posts to award the penalty try.

Trailing 21-19, Trinity pressed for the penalty or drop goal that would nudge them in front once more. Clontarf remained solid retaining and recycling possession and preventing any opportunity to counter. As they eked out another penalty on the ground, it appeared the points were headed to Clontarf, but the following 10 seconds would upend the game entirely. Joyce aimed for touch in the hopes of claiming a fourth try and a crucial bonus point. His ambition, however, proved his undoing, as his long kick dropped just short of touch, over the shoulder and into the grateful arms of Jack Kelly. The winger swung a monumental boot on the turn, sending Clontarf replacement Michael Hoy chasing it. As the ball dropped from the darkening clouds, it fell left and right before spilling out of Hoy’s fingertips and out for a Trinity lineout in the Bulls’ 22.

Reuben Pim was soon charging through Clontarf players and while Rowan Osborne’s crossfield kick came to nothing, Colgan had already awarded advantage. O’Kennedy held his nerve to slot over once more to put DUFC up 22-21 with three minutes to spare.

While Clontarf still had time on their hands, the now-demoralised visitors never looked like retaking the lead. The scoring was not yet done, though, as a massive break from Coyne saw him shrug off three tacklers and escape from any sort of territory from which Clontarf could counter. The momentum was with them once again and Trinity drove over once more – Kearney the finisher on this occasion – to secure a bonus point of their own and deprive Clontarf of even a losing bonus point. In just five minutes, DUFC had completed a stunning 10-league-point swing.

While not borne of the running rugby that DUFC pride themselves on, the five points earned today could prove crucial come season’s end. Trinity are now in fifth place in the Ulster Bank League, having completed the reverse fixtures against two of the top three sides. The coming weeks will prove crucial in capitalising on this platform and staking a claim for the playoffs.