TCDSU Elections 2019

Kane Narrowly Elected Communications and Marketing Officer

Muireann Kane received 51 per cent of the vote, while RON received 49 per cent.

Ciaran Molloy Junior Editor
Ben Morrison for The University Times

Muireann Kane has narrowly edged out a vote to re-open nominations to become the next communications and marketing officer of Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU), with 51.42 per cent of the vote.

Kane was elected on the first count having received 1,410 votes out of a total valid poll of 2,742. Just 78 votes separated Kane from re-open nominations, which received 1,332 votes.

Kane, a fourth-year history of art and architecture and Italian student, has received heavy criticism this election cycle for deciding against having a Facebook page for her campaign and instead focusing her campaigning on Instagram.

Kane becomes the union’s fifth-ever communications and marketing officer since the role of communications officer and Editor of The University Times was split into two positions in 2015.

In a poll of 1,020 students, conducted by The University Times, predicted that Kane would be elected with 58.5 per cent of the vote. Last year, a tightly contested race saw incumbent Paraic McLean narrowly elected with 44.4 per cent of the vote.

Kane did create a Facebook page for her campaign, which included a digital copy of her redesigned manifesto after her initial campaign materials had been criticised for lack of accessibility for students with dyslexia.

Kane is currently the arts installations officer for Trinity Ents and has previously held the role of entertainments officer for the Italian Society.