TCDSU Elections 2019

Kane Launches Facebook Campaign Page, Following Criticism

Muireann Kane, who is running for TCDSU communications and marketing officer, had planned to focus her online efforts solely on Instagram.

Ross MalervyStaff Writer
Ben Morrison for The University Times

The sole candidate for the role of Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) Communications and Marketing Officer, Muireann Kane, has created a Facebook page for her campaign this evening.

The move comes after Kane received criticism over her lack of presence on Facebook and after a group of students launched a campaign to re-open nominations in the race.

The candidate’s Facebook page entitled, “Muireann for Communications and Marketing”, includes a digital copy of Kane’s new campaign manifesto. Kane’s previous manifesto was questioned during Tuesday’s campaign hustings, as it was seen as difficult to read, particularly for people with dyslexia.

Kane said at hustings that a “few people read over it and they had no complaints”, while also implying she could relate to accessibility issues because she was “of the glasses persuasion’’. Later, a member of the audience accused her glasses comment of being “dismissive”.

Kane has since created a new manifesto, which maintains a focus on her core campaign promises of promoting ethical corporate sponsorship and environmental protection within the union.

In an email statement to The University Times, second-year history and political science student Kate Collins, who is running the RON campaign page said: “We are a group of students who, after the first two hustings, are disappointed by the current state of the race for Communications and Marketing Officer.”

“All our sabbat races should be contested – with the current level of disengagement from the Students’ Union what it is, it’s clear that we need an election, not a coronation”, she added.

“We have absolutely nothing against the current candidate”, she said, “but ultimately Trinity students deserve a choice about who gets to represent them”.