TCDSU Elections 2019

Robinson Elected Entertainments Officer

In the most contested race of the election, Judith Robinson beat off competition from Luke Rynne Cullen and Jerico Alcaras.

Cormac WatsonSenior Editor
Ben Morrison for The University Times

Judith Robinson has been elected Trinity College Dublin Student Union (TCDSU) Entertainments Officer on the second count with 42.12 per cent.

The entertainments race has been one of the mostly closely contested races of the election period. Robinson and Luke Rynne Cullen emerged early on as the more establishment candidates, with both boasting a considerable amount of experience organising events.

Robinson was elected on the second count with 1601 votes after Jerico Alcaras and re-open nominations were eliminated on the first count, of a total valid poll of 3293.

Speaking to The University Times after her election, Robison said: “I’m so so happy I won – so overwhelmed. It was so so close. I ran a really fair campaign and I’m super happy. Bring on a great year of ents!”

Throughout the election period, Robinson, a third-year music and drama student and Entertainments Officer for DU Players, has excelled on the ground, with a strong presence on campus as well as on social media.

Rynne Cullen and Robinson’s ideas have often seemed similar, with both candidates organising their events in WigWam, and emphasising their experience and connections with local artists throughout the campaign. In contrast to Alcaras’ hustings performances, Robinson has often seemed more careful and has not really deviated from what is in her manifesto.

During her campaign Robinson organised a yoga event led by Claire Healion in the Atrium, as well as a guerilla DJ set in the physics garden. Robinson’s flagship event, Feel the Groove, was held on Monday in Wigwam.

Throughout her campaign Robinson has highlighted her experience with DU Players as well as her involvement with DUDJ and Trinity Orchestra. Accessibility has been a key issue throughout the campaign and one that Robinson has promised to deal with. She has also laid out plans to roll out consent workshops as well as introduce a recharge tent at Trinity Ball for people to relax in as well as introducing a weekly night in the Pav called “Pav Fridays”.