Triumph At Intervarsities as Nine Members of DU Taekwondo Claim Prizes

The Intervarsities took place in University College Cork and saw DUTC members win medals in a range of categories.

Muireann Nic CorcráinAssistant Sports Editor
Dublin University Taekwondo Club

In a successful weekend for Dublin University Taekwondo Club (DUTC), 10 competitors who travelled to University College Cork (UCC) to take part in Intervarsities – returning with 19 medals.

Across the competition, members competed in different colour categories, with Lucie Delobel, Tanzanite Lournard Chandran, Caoimhe Ní Dhuibheannaigh and Paul Conway all winning gold medals.

Delobel won gold in the blue belt sparring competition, while also coming in second place in the team sparring event.

In the team sparring event in the yellow belt category, Chandran was awarded first place, while Ní Dhuibheannaigh claimed third place in the same category in the bronze sparring patterns competition.

Conway claimed no less than four prizes, with his gold-standard performance coming from the blue belt power-breaking competition. He was also awarded silver medals in sparring, patterns and team sparring events.

Other successful members of the team included Jack O’Hanlon who came in second place in two events in the blue belt category while also claiming bronze in the patterns event. Barbara Baric won bronze and silver in red belt sparring events.

Stephen Byrne and Connor Bardon also had a successful weekend with the former finishing second in the white belt category and Bardon achieving two third-place finishes in the yellow belt category for the patterns and sparring competitions respectively.

In an email statement to The University Times, DUTC Chairperson Paul Conway was impressed with the club’s performance: “It was a great day with very tough competition and all our competitors worked incredibly hard to get their just rewards.”

“It’s good to see us continuing on from our previous success and I know there’s potential for plenty more from the guys”, he said