Jack Horgan-Jones on the Thrills and Challenges of Journalism

Horgan-Jones spoke to transition-year students taking part in a journalism access programme in Trinity today.

Patrick Worth and Nadine Dodril

Jack Horgan Jones, an Irish Times journalist, discussed how the industry is “a people business” in an informative talk to transition-year students taking part in a journalism access programme run by The University Times.

Speaking about the expertise needed to be a journalist, he said: “The best football journalists weren’t football players.” He then stated that contacts and sources are key to a good piece of reporting and how talent is not always essential to “making it” as a journalist.

Though he describes growing up with a “silver spoon in his mouth”, he spoke of his difficulties breaking into journalism when he left college at the beginning of the financial collapse.

Horgan-Jones said that “understanding what people are doing and why” was vital in journalism, emphasising the importance of developing sources. As sources progress to a more senior level, he said, a journalist can report on topics in more depth.

Although Horgan-Jones highlighted the financial difficulties facing media organisations in recent years, he also spoke about how “no two days are the same” and also how journalism is a career for a thrillseekers – he compared the feeling that he gets from writing a piece that makes a difference to the world to a “dopamine rush”.

Bridget Galvins and Ben Norton also contributed reporting to this piece.

This piece was written by secondary students taking part in The University Times’s journalism access programme.