TCDSU to Replace Sports Officer With Intern Funded by Trinity Sport

The intern will operate on a full-time basis, and will be implemented on a trial basis next year.

Cormac WatsonSenior Editor

Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) voted tonight to remove the Sports and Recreation officer as an elected position, with the position being filled instead by an appointed full-time intern financed by Trinity Sport.

The change, which was proposed by TCDSU President Shane De Rís, was voted on at council tonight and comes as a result of Trinity Sport’s desire to develop the role within its framework.

The change is on a trial basis for the first year, De Rís said. “If it doesn’t work”, he said, “we can go back to electing someone from the student body”.

The motion states that the new intern will still sit on Union Forum in lieu of the old Sports and Recreation Officer. The new position will be entirely funded by Trinity Sport.

The motion was seconded by TCDSU Welfare and Equality officer, James Cunningham.

In its current form, the position of Sports Officer serves as a part-time role responsible for working on promoting sports as well as the “physical and mental wellbeing” of students.

Speaking about the motion, De Rís said the new intern would be an “all-encompassing role”. He said the intern would be “someone working part time to make sure sport is integrated into all parts of the students’ union”.

De Rís said said that the opportunity of creating a position that is fully funded by Trinity Sport would be “something we can’t afford to pass up.”

De Rís also commended this year’s Sports Officer, Darragh Flood, on his work this year and said that the new role was “another chance to build upon that work”.

Nobody spoke in favour or against the motion.