Knobs and Knockers to Move Out of Nassau St After 47 Years

The iconic Dublin shop is moving to a new location in Dún Laoghaire.

Emma DonohoeSenior Editor

After 47 years on Nassau St, iconic Dublin store Knobs and Knockers has announced it will be moving out of its city-centre premises into a new store in Dún Laoghaire.

In a tweet, Graeme McQueen, the head of communications in Dublin Chamber, announced the store was coming to “the end of an era”.

“Knobs & Knockers is indeed closing down”, he said. “Moving to Dun Laoghaire after 47 years on Nassau Street.”

In a statement to the Dublin Gazette, Des Cooney, the director of the store, said: “Yes, sadly after 48 years on Nassau Street, we are moving at the end of this month. Our new address will be 3 The Forge, Bakers Corner, Rochestown Avenue, Dun Laoghaire.”

Knobs and Knockers, a household accessory store, has been a staple sight for Trinity students for many years, with its name long bringing amusement to passers-by.

The store does indeed sell a range of doorknobs, knockers and handles, as well as an array of small house fittings, such as post flaps and door jambs.

The store even elicited the attention of Fleetwood Mac guitarist Mike Campbell, who took to instagram with a selfie outside the store before a sold-out gig at the RDS.

Last November, five stores on Nassau St closed to allow the building that housed them to be demolished and redeveloped. Mooch, Lemon, Sprout, Flying Tiger and Spar, which were frequented by Trinity students, all closed their doors to make way for the €58 million reconstruction.

Last month it was announced that six Topshop stores in Dublin, five of which are located in the city centre, would be closing down. Spiralling rent was one of the reasons given for the closures.

Also last month, Teddy’s Ice Cream – the Dun Laoghaire ice cream parlour famous for its 99s – opened a shop on Anne St South, also close to Trinity.