USI Teams Up with Gardaí to Stop Rent Fraudsters from Ripping off Freshers

USI has advised students to be informed, secure and alert before handing money over to landlords.

Cormac WatsonDeputy Editor

The Union of Students in Ireland (USI) and An Garda Síochána have teamed up to help incoming freshers spot rental scams.

Working with the gardaí and an anti-fraud initiative called FraudSMART, USI published a list of tips today for incoming freshers who are searching for accommodation.

The recommendations aim to educate students on the ways in which fraudulent landlords can con them into paying deposits on properties that do not exist or which have already been rented out.

FraudSMART is advising students to “be informed” before paying for a deposit by researching the average rental price in the area; ensuring that the property actually exists, using online maps; and make sure that the property is not in fact a short term rental site.

FraudSMART also wants students to have a paper trail when dealing with landlords, to only use well-known rental agencies and to wait until after a viewing to pay the deposit.

In addition, students have been warned not to hand over any money before being given a set of working keys and signing the rental contract and to report a scam to the gardaí and to their bank once they become aware of it.

In a press release, USI President Lorna Fitzpatrick said: “It is of the utmost importance that students take caution when viewing properties to rent for the upcoming academic year.”

“The unfortunate truth is that people are taking advantage of students vulnerability when it comes to the housing crisis and accommodation shortage for students in third level education and profiting off their struggle to find housing”, she said.

“Always view the property in person before putting down any form of deposit, meet with your potential landlord and find out if they are registered with the RTB (residential tenancies board)”, she added.

FraudSMART is an initiative developed by Banking and Payments Federation Ireland, which aims to raise awareness among consumers about the threat of fraud.

The federation represents Irish banks and the financial technology sector. It has over 100 members institutions and associates worldwide.