Study Spaces Extended in 24-Hour Library for Supplementals

The first three floors of Kinsella Hall will be turned into a 24-hour study space in August.

Cormac WatsonDeputy Editor

The first three floors of Kinsella Hall will be turned into a 24-hour study space between August 19th and 30th to facilitate students studying for supplemental exams.

Currently only the first floor of the Kinsella Hall is a 24-hour study space. The 1937 reading room is also open on a 24-hour basis.

The Berkeley, Ussher and Lecky libraries are open from 9.30am to 5pm, apart from Thursdays, when they close at 9pm, Saturdays, when they close at 1pm, and Sundays, when they are closed all day.

The library and TCDSU faced heavy backlash in May, after opening hours were cut over the Easter weekend, just days before the first day of summer exams.

Students also reported overcrowding in Kinsella Hall, complaining that seats were being saved overnight.

Many of these issues arose in the wake of the implentation of the Trinity Education Project (TEP), which revolutionised how Trinity delivers its undergraduate curriculum.

As part of TEP, the introduction of Christmas exams this year broke with almost 400 years of tradition, after the College’s University Council approved the changes to Trinity’s academic year structure in 2016.

This summer, the Buttery was opened as a study space for students during the exams.