Five of the Best: Culture Night

Your comprehensive guide to the best of Dublin's Culture Night.

Malachi Ó MarcaighSenior Editor

We are over halfway through September and the days are getting noticeably shorter. The burst of enthusiasm that comes from freshers’ week is dwindling and suddenly all your essays are almost due. With reading week – and the repose that comes with it – too far away for comfort, distract yourself with the schedule of free events on offer as part of Culture Night this Friday.

Culture Night, a collaboration between the Department of Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht, cultural organisations and local authorities, has come a long way since it was first trialled in Dublin in 2006. Since then, it has turned into a landmark cultural event, with 400,000 people taking part across the country. For those of you who’ve left it to the last minute to organise your Culture Night excursions this Friday, fear not – here is the Radius guide to Culture Night events that require no advance booking.

Tour of Freemasons’ Hall

Built in 1869, this unique Victorian building is a gem nestled in the heart of Georgian Dublin. Amble up to Molesworth Street to take a self-guided tour of opulent meeting rooms, as well as the Masonic museum. The Freemasons are an organisation shrouded in mystery – so don’t miss this opportunity to learn more about them.

An Evening of Literature at Sweny’s

Popularised by its mention in James Joyce’s Ulysses, Sweny’s Pharmacy sits on Trinity’s back doorstep at Lincoln Place. While it was a working pharmacy from 1847 until 2009, it is now run by volunteers who organise group readings of Ulysses in various languages. This Culture Night, gather in the interior of the pharmacy – which hasn’t been changed since 1890 – and listen to readings, stories, and Edwardian songs. Lemon soap – which is also mentioned in Ulysses – is available to purchase for €5.

Explore Greek Culture in Stoneybatter

Culture Night gives us a chance to experience heritage – both familiar and unknown. This year, the Greek Orthodox Community of Ireland is opening its doors to showcase Byzantine culture. The event will include Byzantine music, the art of icon making, as well as an examination of traditional costumes from various places within Greece. Be sure to check out the National Museum of Ireland at Collins Barracks around the corner as well.

Evening at Swords Castle

Venture out to Swords to visit an 800-year-old castle. Those who make the journey out of the city centre will be rewarded with an evening filled with poetry, storytelling and traditional music from local artists in a historic setting. This event is wheelchair accessible.

Cathal Brugha Barracks

Dating back to 1810, this barracks is home to the Irish military archives. A range of exhibitions, tours, cultural talks and military demonstrations will be sure to keep you entertained as you get unique access to the largest military barracks in Ireland. Margaret Fitzgibbon’s launch of her exhibition on the love letters of Michael Collins and Kitty Kiernan is not to be missed either. This event is wheelchair accessible.