Trinity Student Linda Djougang Included in Squad for Ireland Tests

Djougang, who won Trinity's Sportsperson of the Year in April, is in the squad to take on Wales on November 10th.

Fiachra GallagherSports Editor

Linda Djougang, of Dublin University Football Club (DUFC), has been included on a panel of 37 ahead of Ireland’s international test match against Wales on November 10th.

Djougang, who plays for Old Belvedere most of the time, but has lined out for DUFC in student competitions in the past, will feature in a squad that includes 10 uncapped players.

In preparation for the test match, the panel will partake in two training camps. Both camps will include friendly matches against Scotland and France respectively.

Djougang, who has also featured regularly for Leinster, earned her first cap at senior international level last February, when she came off the bench in a Six Nations victory over Scotland. She has gone on to make three further appearances.

In a tweet, Djougang wrote: “It’s an honor being named in the Ireland Women’s November International.”

Speaking after the announcement of the squad, Ireland head coach Adam Griggs said: “It has been a very tough selection process and we have picked players purely on form. We are confident we have a really strong group to take us through this autumn.”

“There’s a good mix of youth and experience throughout the squad which will drive our standard and make sure there is high quality competition for places as we head towards the Six Nations and the 2021 Rugby World Cup qualifiers next summer”, he added.

Djougang’s achievements with DUFC were recognised last April at the Trinity Sports Awards in Clontarf Castle, when she won the Sportsperson of the Year award.

Djougang’s selection follows the inclusion of DUFC’s Ryan Baird, Tom Clarkson, Rob Russel, Liam Turner and Max O’Reilly in the Irish under-20 squad that partook in the Rugby World Cup in Argentina over the summer.