Second Consecutive Defeat for DUAFC in Colleges League, After UCD Loss

UCD defeated DUAFC 4-2 in College Park yesterday.

Mario Bowden Soccer Correspondent
Cormac Watson for The University Times

Dublin University Association Football Club (DUAFC) suffered a second defeat in the College University Football League (CUFL) yesterday, after losing 4-2 to rivals University College Dublin (UCD) in College Park.

Trinity did put up a fight, with both sides level at half-time following an explosive first period. However, after a late flurry of chances for the visitors, a rather tired and battled DUAFC defence eventually ran out of steam.

The first chance of the game fell to UCD, who were much quicker in settling in to the game. Winger Liam Korrigan managed to get his cross in the box after stretching along the byline, but goalkeeper Daniel Grace dealt with the danger confidently.The usage of the flanks was certainly a theme of UCD’s attacks throughout. Their calmness on the ball was almost a mechanism of deception for the rapid pace their wingers possessed.

The first goal came in the 15th minute, scored by UCD’s Yousef Mahdy. A brilliant string of passes pickpocketed the DUAFC defence before Liam Korrigan drilled it across the box to Mahdy, who slotted home brilliantly.

Trinity went on the attack immediately after conceding, very nearly finding an equaliser. This time, it was Trinity’s James Woods getting down the wing, squaring the ball to James Kelly whose connection rose high over the bar.

The home side, though, were not behind for long. The ball found Derry O’Donovan, whose first attempt was scuffed. Making amends, he re-adjusted and struck for goal, clangin in off the far right-hand post.

Trinity, looking to push on from their equalising goal, came knocking again. Woods very nearly put DUAFC in the lead with a swerving free-kick that flashed wide of the top right-hand corner.

UCD were not without their own chances, however. Trinity’s defence was called upon on more than one occasion from the ever-bubbling threat that UCD posed. A split-second lapse in concentration at the back allowed UCD’s Mahdy to get his second goal of the game. DUAFC switched off after a call for handball wasn’t given, allowing Mahdy to pounce on a deflected clearance. He duly punished DUAFC by passing past the goalkeeper.

Once again DUAFC tried to hit back. James Kelly looked like Trinity’s main goal threat, getting on the end of some low driven crosses. Despite his best efforts, however, the forward could not convert the chances that came his way.

Trinity’s equaliser came at just the right time, and in a manner not unlike UCD’s second goal. A calamity in the visitor’s backline allowed Kelly to get a shot away, and although it was blocked down the rebound fell to Jason Boateng, who slotted home into an empty goal.

The second-half did not produce quite the same goalmouth drama as the first. DUAFC’s Kelly again came close early on, forcing keeper Conor Kearns to tip his header onto the bar and over.

However, UCD never looked pressured and soon had their own flurry of chances. Darragh Corcronan broke free down the right-hand side before pivoting his run towards the keeper. Narrowing in on goal, Corcoran failed in his attempt to cheekily knick it past Grace – but not for lack of trying. Darragh Keogh also went close – he fell theatrically after the slightest coming together with Grace inside the box after latching onto a long ball over the top.

UCD restored their lead after Mahdy claimed his hat-trick, with goalkeeper Kearns the provider. A long ball over the top from the goalkeeper caught the Trinity defence flat-footed. The ball looked like it might run away beyond the goal-line, but Mahdy found an extra gear to stretch to the by-line and had the composure to arrow it into the far corner from the tightest of angles.

If the game wasn’t out of Trinity’s reach after Mahdy’s hat-trick, it certainly was after UCD’s fourth goal. Keogh was able to bundle the ball home at his leisure, after a miscued clearance from the Trinity defence.

The deficit was nearly extended to five but for a goal-line clearance from Jason Boateng, which proved to be the last kick of the game.

Trinity can hold their heads up high despite the result. Ultimately, it was DUAFC’s complacency in front of goal that cost them the match. In the end, a sharper and stronger UCD side came out on top in a very entertaining game.

DUAFC: Daniel Grace, Brian Foley, Dylan Connolly, Darren McGee, Luuk Brinkman, Jason Boateng, Derry O’Donovan, Brandon McCann, James Kelly, Niall Barr, James Woods.

UCD: Conor Kearns, Darragh Corcoran, Conor Gleeson, Michael Costello, Evan Farrell, Jack Kearney, Liam Korrigan, Cian Ryan, Yousef Mahdy, Dara Keane, Richie O’Farrell.