Christmas Concerts, Wreath-Making and Russian Chai Tea: Your Week Ahead

Celebrate the last week of lectures by attending some festive events with your favourite societies.

Eimear FinanSocieties Editor

You’ve made it. It’s 12 weeks since you made your first bright-eyed journey across Front Square, accepting every sponsored piece of food that came your way. In the months that have followed you have seen more Extraordinary General Meetings (EGMs), coffee hours, walking tours and film screenings than you can count. Coming to terms with the age-old complexities of academic referencing, independent living and the Ussher changeover schedule may have taken its toll on you, but don’t get disillusioned just yet! There’s one more week for societies to lure you away from the library with a jam-packed schedule of festive events.

Monday
Trinity Long Room Hub will host Dr Helen Walasek, Honorary Associate Research Fellow at the University of Exeter, to discuss the 1990s Bosnian war, and how this bloody and divisive conflict led to the destruction of countless items of historical and cultural value. Bosnia and the Targeting of History and Memory will take place in the Thomas Davis Lecture Theatre at 6pm. Admission is free but pre-registration through Eventbrite is required.

Trinity Orchestra is back this year with its annual festive offering – its Michaelmas Term Concert. Under the direction of conductor Cathal Folan, the Orchestra’s programme includes the works of Eric Whitacre, Mozart and Arturo Marquez. The concert begins at 7pm in the Exam Hall. Adult tickets cost €10, while student tickets can be bought for the discounted rate of €5. Book tickets online through Eventbrite to avoid disappointment!

Tuesday
At 5.30pm, Trinity Women’s Review will host an information evening for those interested in submitting to its next issue. The publication accepts submissions from writers across all disciplines, relating specifically to the gender issues and issues facing women. The event will take place in the Phil Conversation Room in the Graduates Memorial Building (GMB), and all interested writers are invited to attend.

In An Cumann Gaelach’s answer to the Maidens competitions organised by the College Historical Society (The Hist) and the University Philosophical Society (The Phil), Maidens na Gaeilge will take place in the Business School at 7pm. This black-tie event will pit the college’s most skilled Irish-language debaters against each other to discuss the motion, “The Government should give the same support to foreign languages as they do to Irish”. The guest speaker on the night will be Osgur O’Ciardha, founder of the “Pop Up Gaeltacht”. Afters will take place in Piper’s Corner.

Wednesday
In true festive spirit, Trinity Botanical Society is here to help with all your home decoration needs. Its wreath-making workshop will begin at 12pm in Room 2 of the Atrium, and all necessary materials will be provided.

Trinity Belles, the all-female acapella branch of Trinity Singers, will host its annual Christmas concert in Lost Lane. Pop classics, ballads and your favourite Christmas hits are all on the programme as the group brings Michaelmas Term to a close. Tickets for the event, which begins at 8pm, are available on Eventbrite.

Thursday
Starting at 6pm, Dublin University Photography Association (DUPA) will hold its annual Christmas exhibition in the Hist Recreational Room in the Graduates Memorial Building (GMB). The theme for this year’s event is “Chaos and Order” as interpreted by its members. Admission is free. Afters, with music from DUDJ, will take place in Bow Lane on Aungier Street from 9pm.

Friday
The last Friday of term may be a quiet one on campus, but here to calm the pre-study week nerves is Trinity Russian Society, which will draw the term to a close with its final Chai and Chat event. At 11am, tea, biscuits and chats will be made available in the Eliz Room in House 6. Use this opportunity to try out this traditional Russian hot beverage, practise your Russian and learn more about Russian society and culture while taking a much-deserved break from the library.